What do u like about Win7 over XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AaLF, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There's a CPU performance hit with PAE - it's not an objectively good thing for every situation. Generally the tradeoffs make sense.

But if a machine has 4GB of RAM or more it's very likely it has a 64bit capable CPU in which case it should really be running a 64bit OS.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm think you're a bit confused. You can use Windows 7 with any monitor just like in XP. The resolutions available depend on what the connected monitor supports.

Unless you were using most of your available RAM before upgrading, then the extra RAM will be of little benefit. For many XP users, just 1 gig of RAM will be plenty. Windows 7 uses more RAM than XP, so having 4 gigs of RAM does make sense for running Windows 7 64 bit.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

1. I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're referring to the taskbar being taller, you can make it shorter like in Vista or XP by selecting "use small icons" in the settings. I do that on my netbook, which only has 600 pixels of vertical resolution, and I'd probably do it with 1024x768 as well.

Regarding installation, I like how Windows 7 is easier to install with certain modern disk drives. It will automatically align the partition for a SSD, and it will install in AHCI mode. XP won't align the partition, and for AHCI, you have to press F6 and use a third-party driver, or install it in IDE mode and change it later.

4. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Maybe it was the monitor. Saw Win7 on a 'non-landscape' size monitor & it looked disdtorted and 1028x768 setting was not a choice. But it was a very quick tour I must admit. From what I could gather seemed liked an improved version of XP. I expected more. But that said, I like it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  5. roger_m

Maybe the correct video driver was not loaded, this would seem to be the cause of that. If everything is working okay, then Windows 7 will identify all the resoultions that the monitor supports.

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

The main improvement I notice is the look and feel of it. XP just looks so dated now.

Aero-snap feature is great.

Proper 64-bit support. I need 64-bit to take advantage of the hardware (e.g. 16 GB of RAM), yet 64-bit Windows XP (with SP2) wasn't properly supported, for example, Microsoft Office 2010 doesn't work on it.

7. guest

guest Guest

Win 7 is just another "bloatware" pretty face
    just more bloat that needs to be striped out
    I guess by the time we get to Win 12
    it will be a 15,000,000GB program
    XP has a lot of bloat too
    the best Windows was Win 2000
    but that sure not saying much

8. roger_m

I disagree. In my opinion Windows 7 is a huge advancement of XP. I'm not sure what bloat you are talking about. Sure, Win 7 does use more disk space and RAM than XP, both are rediculously cheap these days it's not much of an issue, unless you have an old motherboard which severely limits the amount of RAM you can add.

At least with Windows 7 you don't need a more powerful CPU tu run it than XP.

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

People have an issue understanding that code isn't free - every feature you add takes up disk space, any new running service takes up RAM. There are more features in Windows 7 therefor there is more disk space used and more RAM used.

Really very very little when you think about it. The minimum requirements for 7 are 1ghz single core CPU and 1GB of RAM. You need a good 128MB of RAM for XP so it's about 900MB of RAM more. 900MB is not a lot of data.

bool: 1 bytes
    char: 1 bytes
    wchar_t: 2 bytes
    short: 2 bytes
    int: 4 bytes
    long: 4 bytes
    float: 4 bytes
    double: 8 bytes
    long double: 8 bytes

A single program can have thousands of variables, structs, arrays, etc. So no, I don't think it's fair to call it 'bloat'.

10. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I always set aside a cDrive partition for XP. My habit with XP is 50Gb Cdrive. Of course XP with xtras is only 10-15GB.

A question for Win7ers': How much space does Win7 plus extra programs take up & how much elbow room to leave? All will fit comfortably inside 50GB??

11. roger_m

Why only a 50GB C:? Personally I never partition hard drives, I prefer to have everything on C.

12. guest

guest Guest

Space on the hard drive has not a thing to do with it as far as I am concerned
    nor how much memory you need

It's the useless junk in the system in the first place

All you need is a Micro System to control the computer,
    it's just a interface anyhow and then let the consumer decide
    what extra's they want to install

My system is Windows XP and the size on the install CD is less than 100MB
    this was created by using nlite and a few other tricks and I've lost count on how many tweaks

This also has the side effect of most mareware is stop in it's tracks because
    what it is attacking or needs to run has been removed from the system
    I will admit this does cause some programs not to be able to run on my system, but not that many and when I find one that won't you can usually find a substituent that will

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  13. culla

culla Registered Member

4.7gig xp pro running on 40gig hd all my programs are portable on external 300gig hd

14. roger_m

I don't know why you'd want have a cut down Windows which does not run some software.

15. guest

guest Guest

""you can usually find a substituent that will""

SPEED

Security

easy, very usable system

no worrying about updates anymore "to the system that is"

when my friends and family see my system everyone of them
    are chopping at the bits to get theirs setup the same way:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Some have threw Win 7 to the wind because this system runs circles around it

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  16. roger_m

Each to their own. Personally I'd rather sacrafice a bit of speed to increase compatibility. But then again, I'm someone who is never content to leave their system as it is, and am continually installing new software.

17. guest

guest Guest

fair enough:thumb:

18. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

80-120 GB should be fine.

My C: partition is 120 GB of which 40 GB is free. I only use a small page file (1GB pagefile.sys + 2GB for eBoostr), hibernation is off (no hiberfil.sys), and system restore is off (so System Volume Information folder is empty). Microsoft Office takes a lot of space (but I keep MSOCache off C: drive), and I place other large programs, like Adobe Master Collection, as well as videos, documents, downloads, etc. on a separate data partition. My Windows folder itself is about 37 GB.

You can certainly fit windows 7 on a smaller partition, even a 50 GB partition, but over time it balloons and you may be in trouble. Plus I think you should have plenty of free space on the system partition for smooth functioning and defragging if you do that.

19. guest

guest Guest

Here's my C: Drive with all programs installed
    I keep all my data on USB Drives
    My Windows folder is 1.01GB

Attached Files:

20. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Which windows do you use?

21. guest

guest Guest

I use Windows XP

"BUT" this is not a stock release
    it has been extensively modified

ALL Windows systems in their stock form are bloatware

22. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Win7 is more stable, safe and beautiful. Though I don't mind working on XP.

23. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Win XP is a lot smaller and therefore faster in many ways, but I still prefer Win7 on computers with better hardware (lots of RAM, SSD, quad-core CPU, ...).

I've seen and used "performance edition" or "mini" XP and 7 windows and they are small. I use them on USB sticks for portability or VMs testing, but there's lots of inconvenience involved with the smaller size. For my main system I really need about 40-60 GB for XP or 80-120 GB for Win7. That's what you need if you use Microsoft Office, .Net Frameworks, and all the other normal stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.