What do people think of Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lucygrl, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Sandboxie is worth the investment and time to learn how to properly configure it on a app by app basis. If I was to fan boy an application, then Sandboxie would probably be it. There are other alternatives to Sandboxie, including bufferzone pro which I've used. With sandboxie, I've gotten by with running a default configuration with minor tweaking to the recovery and deletion settings on other computers. I'd say its worth the added layer of protection, just be patient and familiarize yourself with the program.

General Tips:
    Watch for lingering programs such as flash player. This can result in your sandbox not properly terminating and deleting. This can be fixed under Program Stop and Lingering Programs.

Watch file recovery. Thoroughly vet your downloads before recovering them to your system. Consider running suspicious files inside independent sandboxes. Make sure you limit permissions, such as internet and file access as needed. If it doesn't need the internet, you can block all programs from having internet access in sandbox settings.

Read the support documentation, check out the sandboxie forum, and even some of the threads here on wilders. I believe it was Sully that posted a couple lengthy, though brilliant threads a couple months back.

Lastly, be patient and consider your needs. Does this application do what you need it to? Are you satisfied with the product? What are your alternatives?

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Pushing your views on people is not nice J L, perhaps you wouldn't feel persecuted if you stop doing it. Anyway, can you please tell me what nonsense claim about SBIE I made in this thread?

Bo

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Really, how should I get it across without recommending? I don't remember being particularly forceful about it. The quoted words has no mention of Sandboxie, so take a guess.

4. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Is there a good alternative to sandboxie for Linux?

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The nearest equivalent to Sandboxie on Linux might be a chroot jail.

6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

To J L, you have an obsession to be right. And I think you are a Linux user so that makes you biased to that system. That is ok.

Many of us are Windows users and not all of "us" use SBIE. For the reasons that they like other ways to secure their computing, or try. See many end up messing their system with some geek stuff.

To me Sandboxie offers the best way more than any other security program can and it is solid and proven. I use Chrome too but it is not my privacy browser. Your posts insisting how unnecessary it is to sandbox Chrome and some other stuff got me angry at you. So don't try that with me and others and maybe your posts will be treated more gently.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Isn't it the same with pretty much all who I've posted with on this issue? Actually, Linux is secondary to Windows and I've used more types in Virtualbox.

Nothing wrong with trying, especially with SBIE, virtual machines, snapshots, and disk imaging at hand.

It simply isn't necessary for quite a number of users who don't harden their sandbox without other means and have the right mindset for that. Even those that do may find it more convenient and (virtually) no less secure to use sandboxes separately. Or have incompatible security programs that should be more effective in this scenario.

I stand by my views and try to have others see all the options, and make their conviction. That is all there is to it, nothing more or this thread will be derailed.

8. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

I don't get defensiveness in a public forum. Analyze on its merits and move on. IMO we have enough real life problems without bringing it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.