what disk defragmentors are capable or mft defrag?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by zfactor, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have found the newest diskeeper and perfect disk. are there any others that have this feature? i have tried o&o and it doesnt seem to offer this. i do like its speed though.. thanks for any info

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

O&O does have an offline defrag. Its under Settings > Offline Defragmentation.

Paragon Total Defrag can also defrag the MFT.

4. zfactor

nice i really liked o&o ill try that again..how can one rate pd8 against o&o??

5. zfactor

sweet found it. im kinda torn between this and perfect disk. ive tried so many others and these are the 2 i really like. o&o seems SO MUCH lighter on resource usage than perfect disk imo but i wonder if it does as good of a job. i hear so many people that just love perfect disk and hardly any info on o&o. any suggestions between these two?

6. Aerowinder

Aerowinder Registered Member

I've been using O&O since version 4. To answer your question about it's popularity, I will use an analogy. Do you think Norton Anti-Virus is the best anti-virus because everyone likes it? If you said yes, you would be wrong. People gravitate to Norton because it's widely available. They see it at the store. They assume it's the best because everyone who's everyone uses it. Most people have never heard of Kaspersky of F-Secure. Both are far superior to NAV in terms of not only detection rate, but stability. NAV may be stable now, but I have used it in the past and it gave me nothing but headaches. So I will never use it again. My Norton hate is warranted. Please don't tell me how "great" it is.

Anyhow, you don't see Kaspersky of F-Secure at the store. I won't start a debate over which AV is the best, because it's an opinion war. Every AV "test" has a different winner because different sets of virii are used. But I will say some people's opinion have a little more fact in them than others'.

So to really answer your question: what's popular isn't always right, and what's right isn't always popular. O&O does a fine job. If you like it, use it. I highly recommend it. Never tried PerfectDisk. Never had a reason to dump O&O. Though I did try DiskKeeper once and it fried my partition. I'm betting that was a pure fluke, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I just don't trust it.

7. ASM

ASM Registered Member

Same as Aerowinder, I am using O&O since version 4... Feel it is better that the others... You can email their support to ask the different between them and their competitors. If you lucky, they might send you a fact sheet... With O&O you can't be wrong.

8. zfactor

yeah i really like o&o i think ive found a good defrag program. i find it to be super fast and seems pretty thourough, the best thing imo is the lack of hardly any resources while actually working!! its just so light on the system imo. and i really like the layout of it. it just feels like everything is where it should be.

imo diskeeper has gotten way to bloated. it seems to slow down everything i have tried it on and takes a lot longer than O&O to defrag. while im sure it does a great job i just have also had issues running it in the past where it crashed or had other issues.

perfect disk would def be my second choice after o&o. but like diskeeper it seems to be def a heavier program and seems to bog down my system while doing a full defrag unlike o&o.

thanks everyone!!

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ive never had diskeeper slow my system down.
    i got confused with 0&0 defrag different types of defrag methods.
    atm i use diskeepr 2007 pro because i dont see a reason to pay for 2008 version.
    lodore

10. Aerowinder

Aerowinder Registered Member

I will explain to you the O&O Defrag methods:

Stealth - This is basic defragmenting. It's what the Windows Defragmenter does - makes all files contiguous with complete disregard of the "order" or "compactness".
    Space - Stealth defrag + this one puts all free space at the end of the drive ("compactness").
    Complete/Name - Space defrag only all files are ordered by name on the drive.
    Complete/Access - Space defrag only all files are ordered by most frequent access on the drive.
    Complete/Modified - Space defrag only all files are ordered by last modified on the drive.

The one you want to do is Complete/Access. It also takes the longest. This defrag method puts the most commonly used files at the beginning of the drive, which supposedly decreases access time. Will you see a difference? No. Will there be a difference? Probably not. But it makes me feel good. There is debating as to whether or not defragmenting an NTFS volume is even necessary for a typical home user. But that's info for another post/time.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Frankly, I was never convinced that all these different defragmentations make any difference.
    Only the defragmentation itself is useful, all the rest doesn't make sense to me.

A file that has been modified recently, so what? Does that mean that this file will be modified in the future ? Of course not, it can be an one-time modification to correct one type error and that's it.

12. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

For faster boot-up u should use complete/name. This was written at help file of O&O 6,5 if I remember true.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I still like UltimateDefrag mainly because it let's "ME" do what i want, the way that i want it, when i want to do it, and offers just enough optimizing options for me to realize real results and not just be amazed by claims. UD is done that fine, all except defragging the MFT, and is why i've also just recently hopped on the Diskeeper bandwagon, this time much better than the tryouts before, so DK 2008 is working fine and i also use UD to verify it ain't cheating. LoL

Now i'm also Invisi-Tasking

14. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I like DK because it uses few system resources, and I can continue to use the PC without any slowdowns when it's defragging in the background. A couple of other defraggers I tried were more resource heavy and scared me by temporarily freezing a couple of times during defragmentation. DK works well for my needs.:)

15. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use paragon hard disk manager. I load up the bootcd and do all my defragging from there. Not too bad for a freebie :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.