What colleges offer a Degree in Security Systems and Computer Forensics

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by UncleDoug, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleDoug

UncleDoug Registered Member

I had posted this in another Forum and as of now only have one reply with a college in Ft. Lauderdale.
    Hope those reading here might be able to recommend several other Colleges and Universities. Thank you

I have a friend living in Hong Kong that would like to attend college again in the United States with a Degree in Security Systems, with emphasis on prevention and detection. He thought it might be found within a Criminal Justice degree at some colleges.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which colleges for him to contact ?

He says he messed up and and while attending college in upper New Your state took Physic Engineering his first term and then switched to Computer Science.

He also wants to take some courses to get needed subjects and his grades back up to A's and B's.
    Hopefully a few of the colleges you recommend might have courses he can take over the INTERNET and then come to the U.S. and attend College. And as with most of us, Grants will be needed.

Thank you for any information I can pass on to him.

UncleDoug

2. cortez

cortez Registered Member

DeVry University (as they are now referred to [there are multiple locations throughout the U.S.A.]) has a Bachelor's in "Computer Information Systems Security" or similar, according to the Snail Mail I still receive as an Alumnus (only an Associates of Science Degree in Electronic Technology c. 1985).

I added the lesser degree after getting a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of Illinois (c. 1974) as it paid more being an electrician/electronic technician than being an Electronics teacher.

They did have a vigorous student's Aid department that was highly motivated as it is a private school. If your friend is a non U.S. citizen it may diminish/complicate his/her ability to get adequate grants/loans; contact their appropriate department to get up to date info.

They do say that internet courses are available in their curriculum.

Compared to the difficulty of getting good grades at the University of Illinois and DeVry it was much easier at DeVry as they do not have the SINK-or SWIM mentality that was practiced at the University of Illinois (and most other major schools).

I have recommended 2 of my nephews to go to DeVry as I knew that they would (and did) graduate and get good jobs as many major employers recruit from their placement center.

Their philosophy was to guide/help their students to graduate and also have a very good student's employment placement center.

I am sure that there are many other choices that may be suited for your friend and I wish him/her much luck in finding a compatible school.

3. UncleDoug

cortez sorry for the long delay in replying. Had hoped to at least get 3-4 other suggestions here.

But in another security forum again I only received one suggestion to this question.

Passed on the suggestion of DeVry University.

I live about 2-2 1/2 hours south of Champaign and my daughter goes to school in DeKalb. A lot longer drive than Champaign.

Again Thank You for your suggestion :)

UncleDoug

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Doug,
    I just found the following.
    If you go to it, click on the links. It appears to be info that you can use.
    www.davekleiman.com
    Good luck.
    Hugger

5. UncleDoug

Thanks I will pass it on to him! ;)

UncleDoug

6. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Hi,

I know, it's not a degree granting university, but this might be powerful help for a career in security.

http://www.sans.org/

SANS is the most trusted & by far the largest source for information security training, certification & research in the world. We offer renowned Computer, Software & Network Security Training, Certification through our GIAC affiliate, Free Resources for Research & Global Incident Response, In-depth Training in Computer Security, Firewall Protection, Hacking, Intrusion Detection, CISSP CBK & more.

7. dNor

dNor Registered Member

ITT Tech has a bachelor's program in information security, with the associate's being general computer networking.

Direct link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.