What can I get rid of?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jon_fl, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I have windows XP SP2 and have these security installations running. What overlaps each other that I can get rid of?

Obvious Keepers: Look 'n' Stop with Phantom's rls, BOCLEAN, NOD32, PG Free.

Keep or delete: WinPatrol, TeaTimer, MJ Registry Watch, Prevx Home, MS AntiSpy, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, BHO Demon, AnalogX, IE SPYAD.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It's always going to be personal choice; but I hate to think what would happen if malware attempted to create a BHO on your system - your screen would explode with SWG, BHODemon, TeaTimer, MS-AS, Prevx and WinPatrol and goodness knows what else all fighting to tell you about it. You've got to ditch some of this stuff.

When I installed Giant AS I reluctantly pulled off SWG, TT and WinPatrol. The latter I was particularly sad to see go and might bring back! MJ Registry Watcher covers more bases but has less functionality than the rest, however you could justify this if you clear out the three I mentioned.

I run the full version of PG and really would not want to run Prevx as well. I don't need IE SPYAD because I keep tight browser settings, though I do use SpywareBlaster. BHODemon is a very nice prog, but you don't have to have it in your tray - just use it on demand.

In my tray I have FW, AV, AT, AS and PG; that is quite good enough (and many people surf safely with less than this!).

3. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I did mention BHO Demon and MJ RW but have not used those for a few days. I thought I was getting a lot of overlap. Thanks for your input. ;)

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

WinPatrol, TeaTimer, MJ Registry Watch all overlap.

MSAS overlaps with SpywareGuard and Prevx if you use the resident protection.

I really like Prevx with PG, if you kept Prevx you could probably drop SG and the MSAS resident protection, and use either WinPatrol or MJ Registry Watch for your registry monitoring.

You definitely wouldn't need anything else for BHOs, so you could probably get rid of BHO Demon as well, especially if you keep Prevx.

If you want to slim things down further you could probably go without registry monitoring with Prevx and PG. Keeping Prevx would also probably let you keep using PG free with close to the same level of protection as PG full, as long as you use Prevx correctly (use the 'trusted installation' feature instead of suspending protection, and pay attention to the alerts)

If you really want the active spyware monitoring (watching for known spyware processes rather than just behavior blocking) you could either turn off all the other agents for MSAS or use something like SpyMonitor (open source)

I would keep all the stuff that doesn't run resident as well, like SpywareBlaster and IE SpyAds.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  5. undercover1

undercover1 Guest

I use WinPatrol, TeaTimer, Prevx, and MSAS (real time protection disabled), and they seem to work good together.

WinPatrol is slower at warning you than TT and Prevx, so it's like a backup that will cover you if something slipped by the others.

Sometimes I use SSM also, with it's reg monitor disabled. I just like it's sandbox features that will warn you if a new program tries to start. That would be similar to using Process Guard free.

I feel SpywareGuard is really too outdated to be reliable anymore, I would rather rely on something else until a new updated version is released.

MJRegistry watcher seems like it is really sort of a beta release at this point as new problems are always being discovered in it, so I would use something more stable myself.

No harm in keeping BHO Demon as a backup, I do.

I would also keep SpywareBlaster and IESpyad as Notok said.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

One of the reasons I bought Giant was because of it's resident protection, which covers so many bases, it enabled me to 'consolidate' by pulling off several other apps. I don't see any virtue in disabling MS-AS realtime protection and then running WinPatrol, TT and Prevx.

Actually there is now a new factor coming into the equation, namely the new RegDefend, which could do away with the need for a range of Registry pollers.

7. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

If I add RegDefend to this group, what could I get rid of?

8. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Registry watcher for sure. Winpatrol probably. Teatimer too , otherwise registry changes for cause quite a few popups.

You can keep prevx but turn off windows startup (registry)

9. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I agree with Notok . Prevx with PG 3 . Full version preferrably . And now , RegDefend . I had Ad-watch , MJRW , WinPatrol . All dumped now . Not needed . tea timer should be dropped as well . Prevx , PG , and Regdefend and you are done ! Period . ( As far as the programs you are discussing goes )

10. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I had MS AS as well . Now , GONE ! No need for it . If you add RegDefend ,
    keep Prevx , PG and POSSIBLY Spywareblaster . You are done my friend . All the protection you need . And by the way , excellent choice with NOD32

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.