What can I do to feel safe with WiFi

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by fallgrace, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallgrace

fallgrace Registered Member

Hi there,
    I have mini access point (some ovislink model). So... what can I do to avoid undesired neighbors connecting to my network? WEP, turning off broadcasting ssid, what else? I already read tutorials but some1 is still connecting with my network.

Sorry for my english.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

While everything you have done is ok. By the fact that someone is still connecting to your network shows it is not enough. WEP and disabling the SSID broadcast are easily defeated with tools readily available on the Internet. The best you can do is enable WPA if your hardware supports it. Any instructions you received with it will tell you if it does and should tell you how to go about it. Or upgrade to hardware that does. In the mean time I would suggest that your PCs each have a software firewall to at least keep "who ever" out of them also be sure file and printer sharing are disabled.

3. fallgrace

Thanks I will try with WPA. And I think my computers are safe (linux+firewall on each) but it just drive me crazy when someone is stealing my internet connection ;p

4. ThunderZ

I do`t know the exact model of your router\WAP. I am sure access to the settings can be password protected. Do not use a common word or name. If you are able to use WPA make sure the key you assign is as long a one as it will accept. Many will accept up to 63 mixed alpha\numeric characters in upper and lower case. Hope this helps.

5. fallgrace

Thanks a lot, my ovislink model supports even WPA2-Mixed (whatever means;p). And I'm sure my password is pretty unbreakable for my neighbours.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

No don't do this. I think I'm right in saying it can slightly slow things on the network and the name is in every packet that's transmitted.
    Using WPA2 and a password from here you'll be fine.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

8. fallgrace

With my knowledge of english that amount of text is difficult to find necessary information, that's why i'm asking here

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have noticed this slowdown myself. I went back with SSID broadcast, WPA-Personal, TKIP, and a 22 digit encryption key with a mix of both upper and lower case letters with numbers. I keep the info on my network drive (external USB) so I can have access to it from both computers. I also use MAC filtering as well. I am out in the country and there isn't many people living close by anyway.

10. fallgrace

MAC filtering... I completly forget about that. But now.. I think WPA is enough, am I right?

11. midway40

I think it should suffice. I am fairly new to wireless networking myself. I do know it is better than WEP. MAC filtering is another layer of protection.

12. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

@midway40
    I use WPA2 AES with grc password.

@fallgrace
    WPA is enough.

13. midway40

I forgot to mention that I have a Linksys WRT54GL router and I used Linksys's EasyLinkAdvisor to set up my wireless security. It generated the 22-digit encryption key I mentioned and saved the settings in a text file which I saved.

14. ThunderZ

All the methods mentioned will help. If only slightly. Concerning MAC filtering, MACs can be cloned. SSIDs are not needed to crack a connection, though it does make it easier. WPA is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best currently available way to go. Again I would suggest the full 63 character key. Just my opinion. There is talk on the net already of WPA being crackable via use of a packet sniffer. Stands to reason the longer the key the more packets needed. It would take a concentrated effort and a considerable amount of time to crack the full 63 characters. Although as stated I do believe 22 and above is recommended.

15. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

To date I am wary of WIFI and will not use it on my computer.

I do borrow my friends laptop though!!!

16. midway40

If setup correctly, WiFi is nice to have. I got my first laptop in January (been a desktop user since '86). Now I can surf anywhere around the house and even in the yard. I know this is old news for a lot of people but it is a new experience for me, lol.

A lot of people either does not know about WiFi security or don't care. When I bring my laptop to work I can pick up several unsecured networks in the area.

17. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

You also forget, you can turn your hard firewall on, if its availabe of course, through your admin pane.

18. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Enable the wireless mac filtering!

19. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

For neighbors, WEP works for me. My key is uber long. I know you asked about home use but I would never do any kind of private transaction at an internet cafe or hotspot especially in light of today's threats. Most modern wifi routers have a built-in firewall that is very useful for both LAN and WAN keeping connections stealthed.
    Good luck,

SourMilk out

20. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

i think people are beginning to catch on about wi-fi seurity...i have a Canary wi-fi hotspotter device and used to check around in a town of 20,000 and a few years ago about 1/4 were secured - now it seems to be at least 50% and maybe
    2 out of 3....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.