What battery saver or extender program you used?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Nov 19, 2015.

1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I have new Acer laptop, I was wondering what program you're using to extend battery life?

It has Windows 8.1 OS.

2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

3. sweater

Bad news, after I downloaded BatteryCare, it was eaten by my NOD32 antivirus and was Quarantine. It says, it is a variant of win32/OpenCandy. A potentially unsafe application.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@sweater OpenCandy is an adware installer which the installer for BatteryCare must be using. What will happen when you run the BatteryCare installer, is that you will be given the option to install some 3rd party software as well. By default the extra software will be installed. However, if you uncheck any 3rd party offers you will not end up with any unwanted extras installed, and you will only get BatteryCare.

So basically, pay close attention when installing BatteryCare, and you will have nothing to worry about. Like I said, OpenCandy does not get installed on your system, it os only used by the installer for BatteryCare.

5. roger_m

@sweater Also, you may want to have a look at Battery Life Maximizer. It does its best to maximise battery life, by enabling power saving settings and telling you how to reduce battery usage.

BLM.png BLM2.png BLM3.png

I just installed it after not having used it for a year ot two, and as you can see from the screenshots, it automaitcally enabled the power saving features of my sound card, and is also suggesting I replace the battery.

6. sweater

I see, but I got nervous using something on my pc that a trusted antivirus would say "do not do that or else you'll suffer the consequences" LoL!!!

By the way, I read from someone that to save the battery life of laptop...we have to take out the battery, then use only the cable charger plug-into laptop when using it at at home... and install only the battery when travelling.

And do we have to always use an avr like desktop pc?

What can you say on that? I'm still new on using laptop.

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It's like I do. The heat is the key with battery. Please read "Should I remove the battery when A/C is plugged in?" here: http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

8. roger_m

There's nothing to be nervous about. Just make sure you uncheck any offers to install 3rd party software, and you'll be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.