What AV does PC Wolrd use

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

OK guys I'm going to sleep goodbye for now.

2. Firecat

Not necessarily. As KAV is the father engine KAV gets updates first and then these products are updated, but the difference is usually only a few hours. In such cases rarely F-Secure and others miss because of a delayed update but this so far has happened very rarely in history (once in the last 3 years I think), so no need to worry.

These products are slightly better than KAV becuase the second engine provides an additional database which proves to be worthwhile every now and then.

3. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

So then the rest of the antiviruses like f-secure has an advantge compared to KAV coz they have the KAV scan Engine And there database plus there own scan engine and databaseo_Oo_O

4. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    sometimes but not always. They are also much more resource hungry than kav by itself. They use more ram and cpu time to do the things they do. Honestly if you want kav go get it. If you need to clean your system then have a few ondemand scanners around if thats what you need. Otherwise you are most likely woring about nothing.

5. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

PC World always promotes PC-Cillin, so I wouldn't be surprised if they use PC-Cillin xD

6. chaos16

i know everyone wants this but i just want the best antivirus overall even if its a resourse hog which is the best overall in features, detection, removel etc........

7. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

The guys talking out of his **** Anthony. PC world in the UK is full of idiots. Their is no SUPER anti virus that they have it is all sales talk.
    You could download (free trial versions) of KAV, NOD, ESCAN, NAV, McAFEE, EWIDO, MS ANTiSPY, SPYSWEEPER etc etc and do a far better check than them.

Try and do an upgrade yourself next time (it's really not that hard and I'm sure you can do it) you will find www.ebuyer.com are also a lot cheaper on parts. ;)

8. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

CHAOS, if it's detection you want then KAV is it.

9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Thanks i definitly plan to, nay want to, but i cant find a good enough and easy to follow tutorial to do it. I went to my local waterstones to look over their books to buy and all the books tutorials on how to install hard drives, memory assumed too much in my opinon and the pictorial diagrams were lacking and what there were are to poor.

I have went to a few web sites people have recommended but it is the same. I have the desire to learn but im obviosly not that bright if i cant follow the beginners guides. But can i ask do you know of any easy to follow but complete guides, books etc i could use/buy.

I suspect PC world were using symentec corperate myself but didnt want to argue with the guy in the shop. I was just really curious.

Thanks for your help
    Anthony

10. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I do have to admit, you can often get a better service from places other than PC world and usually its a lot cheaper, especially on the internet.

Jimbob

11. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Trialing F-Secure now (again!)

its a 20 MB download for the installation. After an install, its another 20+MB download/ update!!!!

However, it does run quite well on my system (512MB RAM, Intel 2.8C). So maybe I'll extend it to a year (after all that trouble downloading ...)

12. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Chaos .

Chill out . You are fine . I can pretty much assure you that they have nothing better than what you can readily get your hands on . If you want 4 , have a GOOD resident bscanner and use 3 others for on demand . I , personally , fel you are nuts but that is for another place and time . lol . No offense meant my frien d . I do believe you are freaking out though . If you like KAV . Keep it and get another good one as well . You SHOULD be fine . It is helpful to use an IDS or IPS such as Prevx . You will be fine . Good luck in your quest

13. Firecat

chaos16,

KAV is good enough for most malware but if you really want the best then I'd say that you take these in order of better to *slightly* lower detection:

1)eXtendia AVK (sorry I couldnt get a trial)
    2)F-Secure
    3)GDATA AVK

Personally I'll say F-Secure..It includes Ad-Aware Professional as part of its Internet Security Suite.

F-Secure also has lower resource use than the other two, has good support, faster response and better global presence than the other two.

If you want the best, I'd say go for F-Secure. But if you want cheap protection, go for GDATA AVK.

I do not recommend eXtendia AVK because the program is no longer being upgraded, you only get virus updates

Hope that helped.

Have a nice day, I can understand your concern for security. I dont think your a lunatic or anything.

And yes, all of these scanners are in a slight advantage as compared to KAV due to the additional engine. But sometimes KAV does better because it gets updates sooner.

It makes good sense to go for F-Secure or GDATA AVK.

Regards,
    Firecat

P.S. Have a great day:)

14. ncs_malay

ncs_malay Guest

IT SHOULD BE sYBARI...
    IF im not wrong, it has 7 AV Engines !!!

15. ncs_malay

ncs_malay Guest

16. Firecat

OMG Is that true??

17. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Yes. but keep in mind that there is no desktop solution offered from Sybari.

Sybari incorporates 8 following engines:

Kaspersky
    Virus Buster
    Sophos
    AhnLab
    CA (etrust engine and CA vet engine)
    Norman
    Command

tECHNODROME

18. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I want it!. Where can i get it?. And if theres no desktop version of it, how do i scan with it?

19. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

You seem very keen..lol

Sybari use a combination of licensed AV engines and detection methods, their software is most suited to large networks with a central server, you can find out more HERE .

Microsoft is planning to release its own AntiVirus based on Sybari software, at first it will only be in Enterprise form (corporate), though a desktop version should follow, possible with the release of Longhorn (late 2006).

20. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

darn it.

no wonder MSFT bought sybari. now it has all the av engines in one package. After buying RAV, MSFT probably realised they couldn't roll it out because no vendor would want to share virus data with them. Now, with sybari, the AV vendors would have to do so at least until sybari's contract with the other AV's expire.

21. chaos16

ok lets me get it cleared out.
    So if i get F-secure that antivirus is the best antivirus for a destop o_Oo_O?
    It has a couple of AV scan engines built in 1.o_O?

Plus the updates the other antiviruses bringo_O??

So if i get f-secure it will be like having 2 to 3 AV in my pco_O

22. Firecat

Something like that.

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yo, people, there is NO number one solution for all the desktops in the world. To say that such-and-such is the best anti-virus for every desktop on this planet is absurd.

Acadia

24. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Imagine if there was a desktop version running REAL TIME on your PC. THAT WOULD BE SLOW. :eek:

I doubt that the last 7 listed AVs would catch much that KAV couldn't find.

25. chaos16

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.