What are your favorite live CD's/DVD's for computer repair?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AlexC, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

What are your favorite live CD's/DVD's for computer repair?

This what i normally use:
    - Hiren's 10 and 15.1
    - Active Boot Disk
    - Clonezilla
    - XPE RC2
    - Kaspersky rescue disk
    - Puppy Linux

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Not necessarily for repair as such, but for maintenance.

I use Hiren's Boot CD versions 10.1 and up for tasks such as creating and/or restoring an image via Macrium Reflect.
    Once I used Recuva (again Hiren's Boot CD) to recover accidentally erased photos, and Ive used several other applications such as 'Partition Wizard', G4L (Ghost for Linux) and 'Uninstaller' from Hiren's extensive array of software.

Anything else has been fairly regular use of a Paragon recovery CD (versions 9.0 through 11) for imaging and image restore and on occasion, an antivirus CD from Avira, and DBan or Maxtor's Powermax for disc wiping.

That about covers it.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Once upon a time I used a Bart'sPE disk to cleanse a heavily infected pc, and it did a fine job of removing numerous infections, getting the pc back to a sense of normality, but eventually all the time and effort went for not because the individual didn't care about his surfing and installation habits, and expeditiously re-infected the machine within days of having it cleaned.

As a result of that experience and my own, I feel the best "live cd's" are those that can image and restore, such as Clonezilla, ShadowProtect, and Image for Windows, to name a few.

4. Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avira, AVG, Panda safeCD, Dr Web LiveCD, F-Secure. All are in my toolkit + a Windows Image Backup on a external drive for safe keeping.

5. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.