What are these blocks in Perfect Disk

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by dja2k, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I show some darker maroon colored blocks that aren't in the legend, does anyone know what they are. I have a feeling that they are left over files from errors in removal of snapshots in FirstDefense-ISR. What do you think they are?

dja2k

Attached Files:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

They are just fragment files. Yes when you remove FDISR snapshot, it isn't unusual to see that. Just Defrag and you will be fine.

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hey Pete but they don't go away or move closer to each other even if I defrag, well at least not all.

dja2k

4. Peter2150

Hmmmm. I've never seen that. Have you tried an offline defrag. If that isn't it then I am stumped. That would be time to hollar "RAXCO"

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Since I have two FD-ISR snapshots, does PerfectDisk see both and maybe the rest is from the other one that is invisible to my primary one. What I have noticed after deleting some snapshots, is that I sometimes get errors saying couldn't delete so and so file, and maybe those are the ones left behind.

dja2k

6. Peter2150

That probably is the case. Are the snapshots still there? Is so you can delete them manually. Let me know if you need help.

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

What do you mean are they still there, I have two snapshots, Primary and Testing. I have removed\added them in and out so many times using import\export feature in FD-ISR but occasionally I got errors when removing or adding the snapshots. I think some of those errors were can't delete so and so file etc, but the snapshot would disappear from the list and got deleted after it was done even though those errors occurred. I guess I will just leave it at that, its not that many files, maybe after more defrag's they will disappear.

dja2k

8. Peter2150

Reason I asked is if you deleted a snapshot, and it is gone, but some file got left, could windows still see it. Cause if windows can't see it then neither can Perfect Disk. If I were you I bundle up that picture and send it to Raxco and see what they suggest.

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Check this out, after a few Offline defrags I noticed something different, it found errors on my C: drive, the one with those blocks. I think they were wrong beginning index and some other stuff. But now look at the improvement.

dja2k

Attached Files:

• PD.png
      PD.png
      File size:
      16.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Peter2150

Have you run a full blown chkdsk pass on your disk. You are right much better, but still not what it should be. Do a full chkdsk /r/f and then go for coffee. It should even check free space.

Pete

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Sorry Pete, checking the disks for errors finds nothing on my drive C:.

dja2k

12. Peter2150

Would I be correct in assuming there is nothing helpful in the summary after a defrag. THis is the point at which I would contact Raxco. I can PM you a techsupport contact if you need it.

13. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Pete I forgot to mention I use a Raid0 setup, maybe that has a factor too. Also check this out... The image shows I have 0 and 2 of the FD-ISR but 2 has my other snapshot and 0 is garbage I think. Are they suppose to be there?

dja2k

Attached Files:

• PD.png
      PD.png
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  14. Peter2150

Hi DJA2K

I wouldn't think raid0 would be a factor. I have it on all three of my machines, and haven't had any issues.

On your directory structure, 0 is the primary and 2 would be your 2nd snapshot, so that would indeed be normal.

I don't remember, but if you defrag, does your report show any files left with fragments, and if so can you find them on the disk with the find tool, and see if they are these blocks.

Ding. Could these be locked files or something that couldn't be deleted or moved??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.