What are the real reason/s why freewares exist?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Like many pc users, I’m very happy that free software programs really exist “in the wild”… and probably even wealthy men/women out there grab them like beers and chocolates coz they’re so reliable, easy to use, and also smells and taste similar or even the same with those paid version, hmmmnn… and of course the best part was that it’ll save them money. So folks, if you’re one of those who are using most or the “all free” set-ups pls don’t be shy, the rich and famous also uses them. :cool: ;)
    Looking at this as a blessing from Cyber Gods, still I’m very curious why freeewares exists and the real reason/s behind it. o_O :D

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Some freeware programs are made to encourage users to upgrade to "Pro" paid versions.
    Some are made to make a name for the author.
    Some are made out of the goodness of thier hearts.
    All these motives are fine.

3. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

Perhaps these companies realize the best way to sell software to corporations is to give it to individuals. If I have it on my machine at home I want it at work.

4. ----

Because they are usually bundled with spyware and adware?

5. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

This is a good question and there is no doubt that the only reason for some freeware is to have a feature limited version to entice you to buy the full version or to be a payload for spyware.

From my standpoint, I was looking for a cache cleaner with very specific functionality...and none that I purchased fit the bill. I was very disgusted at one company in particular that offered a free version and had a full version at a reasonable price that did not really function at all (discovered after purchasing). I decided then to write my own program and if others found it useful and the functionality to their liking, to use it free of charge.

I have no hidden agenda nor fame seeking. I feel that the true value of being a programmer is having others use your creation. That is the benefit of offering the freeware to me...the good words that I often receive from users.

I do have a donation link on my site but this is strictly for payment to my hosting site. I average around 9-10 GB per month of traffic so the cost is somewhat high but not a problem to handle even without donations.

I have been asked to include an automated check for updates but I have resisted doing so due to questions that can arise with "why is CleanCache phoning home?"

Well, I hope my ramblings help from at least one developers point of view!

Thanks,

Bill

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

WYB -

Thanks for your product...if I can use it. Hey, I like your reasoning about the autoupdate thing. And really, if it is not an antivirus program I don't quite see the urgency.

One thing that I have to say is that I find it sort of interesting that you have to register for some free software. That might be considered a clue. But I am really rather disappointed at security software that requires registration before it works.

Occasionally I will try to help someone repair or re-install windows. It really would be easier at times if you could just run a program. I am sure there are good reasons they do this, but I always feel I have missed an opportunity to get someone to try a program that is free and would help them. Still, if they must, they must. And free is worth some inconvenience.

-HandsOff

7. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Maybe one of the reasons that "freeware" exists is to counter some of the ridiculous prices that many shareware authors want to charge customers for their products!

Seriously, several shareware software authors seem to think that customers are either:

A) an endless pool of money, or
    B) an endless pool of money

or maybe even

C) an endless pool of money.

The only other thing I can think of is that (no, I'm not going to say endless pool of money) software authors selling their software don't realize that PC users may actually want OTHER forms of software other than just theirs'! In order for the average PC user to have many of the programs they like or want, often times that PC user will end up spending more money on software than they did for their computer!!! Have you seen a price of PhotoShop lately? $600!!! Microsoft Office - a few hundred. Anti-Spyware products routinely sell for $30+......even ZIP archiving tools sell for around $30! And Norton, McAfee and others ask for around $60-$70 for their "internet security" packages (firewall, AV, anti-spam, etc.), and not just as a one-time purchase, but ANNUALLY!

So THANK GOD that some don't charge for it...because that's the only way to counter some of the ridiculously high prices that many software authors charge for theirs....

8. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

J-

I think you hit on something. Ever notice how consistant the price is for a certain catagory of program. This may be the only think keeping software prices within reach...of those who can reach them.

The computer can be a big equalizer, but let's face it there is no equal access. not to computing hardware, not to internet, not to content, and not to software. However, some good will is helping to keep people in the game.

-HandsOff

9. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

-Abililty to pack it all up without endless "discontinued sagas" :ninja:
    -Pick and choose what and when to add features without any pressure whatsoever.
    -Deside how good your support will be. (how much time you're willing to devote)
    ~~~~~~~
    -How about potentially making someone's day? :-*

10. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Apart from the other reasons, some developers just don't have the structure and resources in place to turn their product into a commercial venture, or don't want the hassle of setting one up and the time to run it.

They are, in some cases, justifiably proud of their achievements ! So rather it sit on the shelf gathering dust, they prefer to put it out there. This could be for kudos or just because they are nice people, of which there are still quite a few i'm happy to say.

If you decide you like an App and use it, then donating is the right thing to do i would say.

StevieO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.