What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

im trying out a linux livecd thatš Latvian. i havent worked out how to change the locale yet! so everything is written in foreign :eek: i wanted to add some extensions, but while i was clicking around trying to find 'extensions' in the menu one of them popped up with Shazou :cool: i really like it and iļl try it out when i boot back in to suse :cool:

here it is -
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2993/

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Although I have extensions for safety, I like only one extension : ForecastFox, which was for me the end of all good, bad and INFECTED weather programs.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have added some more recently, like the search ubuntu forums one, Toolbar Buttons, Web Developer and quickrestart

5. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Although I'm using Sea Monkey, many of the FF extensions work with it.
    The ones I use are:
    1. Show IP
    2. Switch Proxy
    3. User Agent Switcher
    4. Webmail Compose
    5. Unclose Tab
    6. Dict Plugin
    7. Dictionary Search, for anonymous use of search engines
    8. Image Zoom
    9. Diggler
    10. IEView
    11. BBCode
    12. BugMeNot
    13. DrWeb

6. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

and here I would have thought a liveCD was paranoid enough
    without having to resort to unintelligible internal obfuscation :p

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I tried the link provided by ronjor, but could not spoofstick to install. I was told that the version was not compatible with Firefox 2.0.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I wouldn't say these are "Must Have", but are the add-ons I use with Firefox.

Gerard

Attached Files:

• FFao.gif
      FFao.gif
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
  10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Ok, been riding Firefox again (appreciation for at least open source).
    Here are mine: (i highlighted some of the new, that some of you probably aren't aware of)

Adblock Plus
    All-In-One Gestures
    CLEO
    CookieSafe
    CustomizeGoogle
    FEBE
    Firekeeper :D
    Forecastfox Enhanced (better than plain ole forecastfox)
    FormFox
    FoxyProxy
    KeyScrambler (it's disabled, i don't know what to do with it)
    LinkAlert (i'm still checking it out- the cursor changes to indicate what kind of link the mouse is hovering- download, pdf, link, etc.)
    Mcafee SiteAdvisor (looking for replacement)
    Noscript (one of the reasons for Firefox appeal- control)
    RefControl
    ScrapBook
    SessionManager
    SpeedDial :D
    TabMixPlus (i think it's going away, SessionManager, All-In-One Gestures et all beat the crap out of TabMixPlus, MAYBE)
    VideoDownloader

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  12. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I've been reading about FF extensions and the ones to Avoid, therefore since I had several "leaky" ones they were replaced. Here's my new collection:

Actually I replaced WebMail Compose w/ Better Gmail and a few GreaseMonkey Scripts like Gmailto & Gmail SuperClean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Some that i bookmarked, but not sure:
    HostIP.info Geolocation Plugin any better ones?
    SafeDownload useful? don't know, maybe in GNU/Linux to scan downloads, to be sure before sending to XP friends.
    VirusTotal doubt the usefulness, but..
    Process Library again, using the bookmark isn't that hard, but..
    Open In RegEdit this is mighty interesting, to follow advice given on the net for troubleshooting the registry; could save time and mistakes.
    SCM "SCM performs Site Continuity Management validations on websites to help prevent Pharming attacks. " I have no idea if it serves any purpose; maybe when using public networks, and be sure DNS isn't bad?

And others that i read in this thread. Like Zotero, Spoofstick, FlashBlock, Wayback, Bugmenot. Anyone care to enlight me what they do / how they help you?

14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

15. sonic6k

sonic6k Registered Member

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

isnt that extension just similar to cache view? and why dont you think it will work with proxomitron?

19. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Thanks Iceni60. :thumb: Had been looking for that one but could not remember the name. :rolleyes: Got it now.

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Tabbed Browser Extensions
    MR Tech Local Install
    Resizable Form Fields
    Enhanced History Manager
    Customize Google
    Remove it Permanently
    Spellbound Developer Edition

These are for 1.5. I don't use 2.0 for privacy reasons and because it is difficult to get TBE to work properly in 2.0.

21. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I am just curious, why do so many run FiltersetG.updater with Ad-block Plus when the author of ABP himself advises against it?

From http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_project

Do I need to install Filterset.G Updater?

No. Actually, it is recommended not to use Filterset.G with Adblock Plus. There are several reasons for this:
    • Filterset.G has been intentionally made incompatible with the built-in subscriptions feature in Adblock Plus, updating Filterset.G requires a separate extension which basically duplicates existing functionality.
    • Filterset.G is not optimized for use with Adblock Plus, it will slow down your browsing considerably more than any other filter list.
    • Filterset.G makes heavy use of very complicated regular expressions with the consequence that finding the source of problems is difficult and fixing those problems is even more so. In fact, Filterset.G is fixing most problems with exception rules which creates a problem on its own (see next point).
    • Filterset.G contains a considerable number of exception rules. This is a big problem because exception rules cannot be overridden. It happened on several occasions that exception rules from Filterset.G whitelisted actual ads making these ads unblockable — something users usually blamed Adblock Plus for.
    While Filterset.G has had its uses in the past, nowadays other filter lists are certainly a better choice. If you already have Filterset.G Updater installed, you can uninstall the extension and remove the Filterset.G subscription in the Adblock Plus Preferences dialog. Feel free to choose any subscription from the list then.

22. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Very True, but I think for most: "Old Habits Die Hard".

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's similar to cache view, i don't use them at the same time. i've got lots of firefox installs on differnet OSes/computers.

proxomitron uses a different page when it gets a 40* that's why it might not work, maybe it does, i haven't tried it.

one extension everyone should get is link alert, i always install it when i remember. you can get it for opera too using userjs.

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, i'm hooked to that extension. :)

BTW, i got this problem with all in one gestures, when i go back with 'right click- left click', the page doesn't work properly. Like doing a search, then going back to do another, but it doesn't work, i have to refresh. Anyone?

Also if i leave the right button down, and keep clicking left, nothing happens (in Opera this is what makes it enjoyable, it works..)

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.