What are the limitations of True Image & dynamic disks

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mobocracy, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobocracy

mobocracy Registered Member

The FAQ on Acronis' web site says:

What exactly does this mean? If you system has a dynamic disk for its boot partition, can you image it and restore it (presumably to some other system)?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mobocracy,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

You may create images of Dynamic disks only with Acronis True Image 8.0 Server and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server. These products allow you to restore these images but the after the restore the disk will be set as Basic (however, Windows is able to convert Basic disks to Dynamic without data loss).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. mobocracy

mobocracy Registered Member

Just so I'm 1000% clear on this, TrueImage Server *and* Enterprise Server *can* image a boot partition that has been converted to a dynamic disk and then restore it on another system?

All of the systems I would use it on have had their boot volumes converted to dynamic disks, so if it does work with them, great, if not, it'd be worthless to me.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mobocracy,

Yes, you are absolutely right. Please note that after you restore this image the disk will be set as Basic and you will need to convert it to Dynamic with the help of operating system (it is possible to do that in Windows without data loss).

You may get acquainted to the difference between versions of Acronis True Image at our site http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATIESWin/comparison.html

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. dgrrr

dgrrr Registered Member

what about: IMage of Basic, run ATE on Dynamic?

I'm in the opposite position -- I have an Acronis Image of a BASIC Disk. It's saved on a Dynamic Disc. I'm running Windows off THAT DYNAMIC disk. If I run Acronis True Image 8 -- off THAT DYNAMIC Disk -- I am unable to explore the image of that old Basic Disk.

Will the souped-up versions of Acronis allow me to get around this limitation?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.