What are the benefits of virtualization aside from increasing internet security?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by DesuMaiden, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

So far I heard that Virtualization can be used to increase your internet security from hackers, trojans, viruses, and etc? What else can virtualization be used for? I heard some of my friends have gaming virtual machines. I don't know why anyone would use a virtual machine for gaming lol.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Mainly for software testing and evaluation and testing/experimenting with different system configurations. It's also possible with high end hardware to run multiple machines such as servers in one hardware host. I think developers might use them as well for their projects.

Yeah I don't either o_O

3. St(r)eaming updates, game server access to your IP/PC?

4. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Yes, I think that is it's main use (also, in that regard, testing how well anti-malware programs stand-up against malware attacks). However, 'the jury is still out' on the question as to how accurately do VMs replicate real (physical) system results? :doubt:

TS

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

As the sole purpose of system-wide virtualization is to reset the machine to a known state simply by rebooting, it is useful in any situation where this is a desired outcome. I use light virtualization to keep the system permanently virtualized, except for bringing it out of the virtual mode occasionally to apply updates. For me personally, as adminstrator on a multi-user home machine, this covers the following use cases: -

• perfect cleanup if a malware infection should occur
    • testing of software that doesn't require a restart to install
    • keeping the system stable with minimal and predictable changes
    • guaranteed normal restart after an unexpected system crash or power failure
    • restoring the system to a known state after other users have been using the machine
    System-wide virtualization doesn't offer anything more than imaging functionally, but restarting the machine is a lot quicker and more convenient than restoring system images on a routine basis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.