What are all these .exe files?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I just happened to be looking around my PC, and found these files in the "C:\Program Files\TDS3\xDynamic\TDS.Unpk" directory. The screen shot below is just one page of MANY - Lots of these files. I noticed they all have icons that are related to other applications I have on my PC. Are there files necessary? Just curious.

Attached Files:

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You can empty the UNPK folder any time.. these dont look like zipped files but they must be. TDS unzips files into that folder to scan them, they should get deleted once scanned but if an AV detected them and locked access TDS couldn't remove them. They dont look like malware though, just a guess ?

Definitely delete them :)

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi Daisey, ;)

If you want to automate the empting of this folder ... it's easily done if you use some sort of Windows Cleaner, ie. CrapCleaner, Webroot's Windows Washer, and others. ;)

You can add this folder for washing, when you run that particular app.

For CrapCleaner ... Open CCleaner, Select options, Custom Folders, add folder, then navigate to C:\Program Files\TDS\Ext.Unpk

For Window Washer ... Open Window Washer, Plug In Wizard, Create New, Enter a Description, Next, Select add Folders with Multiply Files, Navigate to the Folder, select add, then Next, Check Off the Allow this plugin to delete system files (Otherwise you will get several prompts while cleaning to allow this) and hit Finish.

Steve

4. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

Hi,

I have a similar problem : in the TDS' directories I've got some zero-sized files (namely sndvol32.exe, rundll32.exe, helpctr.exe, notepad.exe, services.msc, cmd, regedit...). So it seems that it's the result of launched applications and commands throught "start"->"execute"... :rolleyes: Do you think my AV (namely KAV personal 5) locks them?

Thanks,

Edit : LOL, I've checked and yeah, if I launch anything throught "start"->"execute" it results a file with the command name in TDS main directory :D

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, Gavin. Will do. Any reason TDS does not automatically purge the folder after a scan? Maybe a suggestion for TDS-4. ;)

Thanks, Dog. I do use Windows Washer. :D

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Daisie,
    Gavin wrote
    Pilli :)

7. Dazed_and_Confused

OK. I wasn't exactly sure what you were trying to say. But I can see that your indicating that for some reason TDS should but could not remove them.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.