What Antivirus programs have no toolbars or stupid optimizers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mortal Raptor, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Test complete,

here is the outcome

tried uninstalling the service via sc delete epfwwfp but got an error message that told me the service does not exist

I then right clicked on epfwtdi.inf and hit install

then I rebooted

test video streaming on YouTube and IMDB, no issues, tried fast tracking and rewinding, no issues, video playback was smooth

Tried web browsing, no slowdown as before due to the HTTP scanner

Tried a speedtest.net test and the results are perfect, with no lag in the ping rate and speed:

http://tinypic.com/m/ipm7t2/2

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

The problem is we straddle a fine line between security, and breaking stuff.. Even adding a few checkboxes for databases into uBlock can have a significant negatve impact on a client. A VM would certainly work, but consume resources, and be a pita for many people to use. But for a tech savvy person - fantastic!

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

So then the question is - why is ESET using a driver that basically breaks the product for many of us?

4. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I don't know what's up with that new driver, maybe they haven't yet confirmed that the new driver is problematic.......but now with this old driver that I'm using, browsing speed, downloading, speedtest, pingtest, are all the same as v4, no performance hit.......

I took an image before testing anything, I advice you to do the same and give it a shot, Marcos will help you if you PM him with the old driver download, you MUST specify to him that you are wanting to install ESS or NOD32 as the driver is different for both products, I highly recommend NOD32 even though you have an ESS license, it'll work on NOD32 and the Windows firewall is more than enough to be honet

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

This doesn't sound like something I would do on production systems. So I will hold off. I'm happy with Norton/Trend for now.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

TDI drivers are obsolete and to my best knowledge are not supported by Microsoft in new operating systems (they still work but it's not guaranteed until when). New operating systems use Windows Filtering Platform. As defined by Microsoft - Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) is a set of API and system services that provide a platform for creating network filtering applications. The WFP API allows developers to write code that interacts with the packet processing that takes place at several layers in the networking stack of the operating system. Network data can be filtered and also modified before it reaches its destination.
    Please create a separate thread here or in our official forum where we could continue with the discussion so as not to hijack this thread meant to deal with antivirus programs in general.

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I gotta say, I'm impressed with Eset's willingness to help and address the issue. I suspect that this issue is not significant for most users.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i also have the tdi version and will be beating it up later when i get home. ill be sending info to marcos as soon as i complete a barrage of tests. if i remember correctly the new api is also what caused the issues with the slow boot up from avira until they did something to resolve it.

it may not affect some users but i have to say it affects every computer we run / have run ess on. (more then 24+) systems. i see the same behavior on all of them as far as stuttering video and super slow speedtest results on the upload side.

also to mortal no offense but wsa is a fine program and while i get you dont like it i have upwards of nearing 500 users running it and almost never get calls from people getting infected in fact i get fewer calls from it then i have of almost any other in the past. 1 call in the last 6 months imo is a stellar track record in my book. in fact many of my clients like it so much ill have someone call me and say i spoke to x and they told me they are running this av on their system and love it can you come out and install it for us as well. i get these calls all the time. and im no fanboi either i do use the beta on one of my systems but i run other av's as well and im not saying its the best thing out there since sliced bread but i just dont see people getting infected with it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I just want to say that it's good to see that some of you that are affected by this slowdown finally started working with ESET and Marcos on this, shame it took so long to get started though after all the posts about this particular issue, but better late than never as they say. And hopefully it will help ESET so it won't be for nothing. Fingers crossed.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

~off topic remarks removed

11. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

back to the topic, so to sum up my question on this thread, it seems that these are the AVs that run don't install any optimizers/bloatware"

- Eset Smarty Security / Eset NOD32
    - Avira Antivirus PRO (not sure until when though as they were about to introduce a registry cleaner and optimizer before I stopped using it 5 months ago)
    - Bitdefender Free Antivirus
    - 360 Internet Security
    - F-Prot
    - Emsisoft Anti-Malware / Internet Security
    - F-Secure Anti-Virus
    - Ikarus
    - Clamwin
    - Windows Defender / Microsoft Security Essentials

Thank you everyone for the input

12. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security

13. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Edited, thanks for the reminder

14. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

plus:
    Emsisoft
    F-Secure
    Ikarus
    Clamwin
    Windows Defender

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Avira Professional Security doesn't come any kind of **** with the program, not even the firewall found in the Pro version. Just cloud antimalware protection and better performance compared with the Pro v, at least on my old rig.

16. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I did mention Avira

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

You mentioned the Pro version, I said Professional Security v.

18. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

19. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

added to main post

20. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Though I didn't have any problems with ESET, how are the people who did have problems supposed to know when the issues mentioned are fixed?

Installing an old driver has appeared to patch the problem, but what about the fix?

21. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

:thumb:
    GDATA
    Immunet
    VBA32

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

so far the older tdi drivers do make a significant difference for me. im running a bunch of tests now but marcos did specify this should not be a long term fix...

23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

adde to my original post in page 1

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Not if Sandboxie is properly configured with 'Restrictions': Internet Access and Start/Run Access. One can decide what can phone home or start within the sandbox.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I guess it's both good and bad, good that they make a difference, but bad that it's not a permanent fix for this problem, especially if these drivers no longer are supported by MS. But I hope it at least gives ESET a clue or two and that they can move forward from here and possibly find a permanent solution.

I assume there was a reason why they had to stop using the TDI drivers and start using the WFP instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.