What Antivirus programs have no toolbars or stupid optimizers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mortal Raptor, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Yeah thank god I still have that 1 lifetime free license.

our ESET license works on ANY? version

Furthermore, if one has an ESS license, it is valid to be used for NOD32 only if one choose to do so. Eset is the only company that allows you to do this, as in, if you have a higher product in their list, you could use that license to install on a lower product!

2. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

I`m afraid that has about the same chances as Ilya coming up with a 64 bit version of DefenceWall....then again there`s always a maybe ?

Regards Eck:)

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

running a scan with MBAM to see what FPs it finds (if any)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

correct imundo

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Would the old NOD32 with modular interface work?

I really miss that one.

7. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

ran a scan with MBAM! 7 FPs ........no thanks.....gonna try this NOD32 v6 then

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No biggie, that's why Wilders was created. :)

10. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Ok, I am not kidding with this suggestion ... have you ever considered buying an Apple laptop? I don't know if they have anything that rivals your awesome sounding Alienware (that thing must rock), but if you had a Macbook along with your router, you should be good to go with no antivirus. I admit that it is fun to try different anti-malware products but sometimes we all worry too much and overanalyze things. I have a Macbook Air for general browsing and it is a relief to use that and not worry about bloated security products.

Whew, I don't know what came over me there, enough of that. I think I will unload ESET off my computer and try out the rebranded free F-Secure suite from my Internet provider, Charter Communications. They recently upgraded to the latest F-Secure version and it is very nice. It is nice enough that I might actually buy F-Secure the next time it is on sale (if ever!) since I think the Charter version may still be missing one or two small capabilities.

Can you get any free security software from your Internet service provider or perhaps your bank?

11. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

12. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Tried a MacBook Pro last year, couldn't stand it for more than 24 hours and returned it. There isn't anything to customize in it, it's like you get it, use it. or maybe I don't know since I never used one, there wasn't anything for me to mess with performance tweaks and stuff. Another thing is the specs, they don't even come close to my 1 year old Alienware with Dual 780M GTXs in SLI mode and 32GB of RAM, not giving up on that man.....

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

o_O here we go again...and 2 pages already, fantastic.

Yes you can use NOD32 with an ESS license.
    Yes you can use which version you want from the latest V8 to the oldest version that still gets VSD updates which is V3.

But I won't waste any time telling you why V8 is superior to earlier versions because you don't listen anyway.

"Believe me I check daily on the ESET website to see if they have a new version to download but it's been like this with this buggy version since more than 6 months now! horrible"

Have ESET said that they are working on Your issues and that they will release a version where Your bugs and Your issues are fixed ? Nope they have not.

Emsisoft should be happy that you didn't find something you didn't like or a "bug" in their software before you uninstalled it as you would only have told them about your issues just before jumping over to another AV as you always do.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  14. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

LOL... Well that was unexpected (mucho friendly sarcasm included)..

Have you tried Sandboxie?

I have not tried it, but it's one of those things I've long considered trying. The Sandboxyites seem to be some of the most loyal customers to their product on this site. And they are not obnoxious like some of the Webroot Kool-Aid drinkers.

I think you should try that... as I'll be interested in your take before I take the plunge.

-ftp

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm really surprised you got that many false positives. I've been using MBAM since it was first release and have ever had a about two or three false positives.

There's plenty of software that gets detected due to being unwanted, that I choose to keep, but almost nothing in the way of actual false positives.

16. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Mortal, have you tried... Kaspersky?

Kaspersky is very light, and doesn't come bundled with any nonsense, and seems to have respectable detection. I don't buy the '100%' kool aid for Kaspersky, but to be honest - it has good points.

Maybe Frank is right.. Just roll Sandboxed and not run any AV? Certainly ASUS w/Trend is going to protect you from the vast majority of threats out there, and Sandboxie essentially isolates you from any potential browser borne exploits and issues?

17. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Hey, Mortal Raptor, what process do you use for installing and uninstalling the various programs you try out? Do you restore from an image each time?

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Just run Norton 2015.

19. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I agree I've never seen anybody run so many different programs and complain, I've never had that many false positives from MBAM, ever!

20. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Hi, you can try these:

Forticlient
    Windows defender/MSE
    Avast Pro (custom install)
    Avira Pro (I didn't get any addons when I tried the offline installer)
    Mcafee (Last time I tried it I was given the options to choose components during install)

21. guest

guest Guest

Why are people being proud of getting banned. It hurts in the heart a lot you know. >=V

I would suggest to stay with EAM. Even if you have problems with the developers, as long as the product works the way you want it to be, it is okay to use it IMO. The AV world has a tendency to install more and more additional components not relating to malware detection and prevention. It would be just getting worse. Alternatively, I also agree with suggestions regarding ESET.

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

mbam hardly ever gives me a fp. maybe once in a very rare while. i do not run it real time though only when i feel the need to do a second opinion.

imo i HIGHLY doubt he will like kaspersky. i dont care what any review or test says kaspersky is not in any way a light av. i find it heavier then eset for sure so if you find eset to heavy i doubt you will like kaspersky, last time i installed kis it did in fact have a toolbar and a desktop gadget (stupid things i hate them) and the safe pay thing.

anyway once of the reasons i love avira paid is that so far i dont have to deal with any extra junk (with the paid version the free one does have junk. im hoping the paid one stays crap free though), as far as eset imo v4 was really the last super light version imo. getting a bit heavier as they went on. honestly if v8 didnt slow down my streaming and video playback it would be my sole av.

23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I have many Adobe CS6 programs so to avoid phone activation each time, I saved the activation DLL files. Those are the 7 false positives I was talking about. The problem is even if I whitelist them, if I do ever run a full scan it would end with an error. So what I did is post the error on their site, they asked me to submit a log which I did, then they accused me of stealing software from Adobe and they will offer me no help. So they wanna play the piracy police now, fair enough, I don't care, but not about my purchased apps. I have 0 cracks or Warez in my software collection but Adobe's phone activation is a pain so I had to backup the activation

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

25. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

no offense but as far as i know you can not just backup dll's to reactivate adobe.. not that simple. but thats all ill say not the place to discuss things like that here. (btw i sell and service adobe products have for a long time)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.