What antivirus engine to bluecoat uses?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LunarWolf, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunarWolf

LunarWolf Registered Member

Bluecoat, the company behind K9 web filtering program filter out malware sites as well. I heard that it is a very good malware filter. So just wondering which antivirus engine did they use or they use their own in house engine?

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i might be wrong but they dont use a classic 'engine', its all in house.

the client does not scan pages in real-time, they have web crawlers go out and store information about each domain so the program on the clients end only retrieves what the web crawlers determined.

(the malware filter does not filter files, it filters web url's)

3. woomera

woomera Registered Member

thanks for the info, good to know.

i watched some video of their detection rate on malicious urls and they do a fantastic ob. i do have a license but my experience was that it slowed my browsing by alot do had to get rid of it.

4. treehouse786

your welcome.

ye they probably have the best web filter available anywhere. maybe you had a conflict somewhere as i do not get any slowdowns (perceivable anyway).

please also note that the web filter will not protect you from domains that have been compromised AFTER the web crawlers have scanned the domain in question (although thats pretty rare its still worth noting).

5. LunarWolf

What do you meant by that?

How does K9 fare against Bitdefender Traffic Light in terms of blocking malicious URL?

6. treehouse786

which version of traffic light are you referring too? the install version or browser add on version? big difference you see.

example: k9 web crawler scans www.bbc.co.uk at 1:30pm > comes up clean > www.bbc.co.uk becomes infected at 1:35pm > you go to www.bbc.co.uk > you get infected because the k9 web filter let you access the website because it was clean when the k9 web crawler scanned that domain.

when you install k9 web protection, you dont install the web crawler, you only install the client. the web crawler crawls the web from blue cloat's servers, not on your machine hence the delay from discovering an infected web page to you being protected by it. the scenario i created is rare but alas it does happen (rarely)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. LunarWolf

I was referring to this? That one is the installer right? Not the plugin right? So what is the difference?

Now I see what you meant.

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

The installer of Trafficlight, AKAIK, is a real-time protection.

9. LunarWolf

What is the difference between the installer and plug in?

10. LunarWolf

It does offer real time protection.

Source : http://www1.k9webprotection.com/aboutk9/overview

11. treehouse786

"real time" in the sense that it checks url's in 'real time' by pulling data from blue coat servers, not files. dont believe me? upload a file or malicious script from a website which K9 blocks to a different legit site and it will not block it. i know this as i have tried this on my website ;)

between trafficlight full or add-on version? differences here here and here, read full thread for all info

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.