What antivirus, do the, "Pros" use.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the workstation can be remotely controlled.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

can it also be password protection so you cant accidentally right click the menu and click disable?

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

I am not sure about that. I am trialing the Workstation because I could not find a 30 day trial of the Premium. I think the Avira forum would be the place to get the information you want.
    http://forum.antivir-pe.de/index.php

WSFuser is correct, but I am not sure what other difference, if any, exists.
    I don't know much about it, but it ran well on my laptop. As I stated, I am trialing the Classic version now.

I have been approved for the beta test of the suite, and I may do that in a few days after I see if the Classic runs as well as the Workstation.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

with the antivir suite out soon I think ive gone off kav for now.

i think something like antivir suite+online armor as real time and a squared and superantispyware for on demand.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hey Lodore,

Why don't you try to live an exciting and dangerous life and trial the Avira beta suite?:D
    Have no fear, if your system melts we will all give you much sympathy and thanks for doing it for us.:thumb:

Best,
    Jerry

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

maybe lol.

but i will probably try fsis2007 till the license runs out then get antivir suite.
    I think I will definatly get the antivir suite in the end.
    that update problem with kav put me off it and helped me choose. anyway because of that bad update my dad wont let me have it anyway lol.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

That KAV update problem was a disaster, and no doubt did change some minds about it. It would not take many of those to make me change, but I am pretty confident that was an aberration and won't happen to that extent again.
    I am thinking that MP1 will fix most of the bugs, although I have had very little trouble except that update.

After I trial the Avira Classic a few days I may do some testing of the Avira suite beta. It seems to be doing well, and I don't really have the expertise to get into a lot of problems.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you trial the suite I will be looking forward to you posts on the beta forum hopefully good experience.

it seems the av's in the running right now are nod32 and antivir.
    both damn good av's
    I can over look the few bad points of nod32 because of its great good points.

both light, both have great heuristics both have great detection. but nod32 has alot more custom settings.
    i cant wait to see nod32 3.0 should be great. i hope its as perfect as 2.5 is atm.

that reminds me i need to add to my honest opinion of nod32, the fully functional trial.

lodore

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

lodore, last week it was Kas and thanks to Don,you have stated you would never consider Nod, which is the best to. Here is some heartfelt advice. Throughout all of this you complain about your current software, which you still stick with. Why not just stick with them and see what they do to improve their product. You have not bailed on them yet, and this attempt that you, I and others try to get the,"best." may rationally be unachievable. Too much is played into what is the best when the reality is, it doesn’t take 9 different products to keep you secure. All realize what the marketplace is demanding, what is required for their product to compete and sell, and are all moving in that direction.

So if you don’t have a pc that is virus or malware infected, then you are, doing the right thing and leave it at that. There isn’t a perfect answer here, but their is solid guidance, and a lot have offered that to you. So chill, and trust in what you have. Take care, my friend.:)

10. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

:D Sorted!

11. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I gave the AntiVir beta a try. I ran into problems with not being able to receive e-mail with MailGuard activated. Although I received a lot of help from the good folks at the AntiVir beta forum, the problem just wouldn't go away. The only way I was able to receive e-mail consistently was to deactivate MailGuard. Also, when I did receive e-mail, I could not stop AntiVir beta from marking all my e-mails as spam. I was told of a work around to fix this, but I couldn't get it to work either.

I have removed AntiVir beta, and I'm back to using AntiVir PE Premium and Kerio 4.3. At this point, I'm thinking of removing AntiVir Premium, and going with some other AV. Not sure which one yet. I'm not knocking AntiVir, it's just a personal thing. I don't really feel comfortable with it.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the reason i haven't changed my current software is that i would be wasting money my license doesn't run out till December so im looking at the options now and continuing to in till closer to the time.

my signature changes almost everyday. nod32 is one of the av's that a had the least problems with testing.

and are you dissing nod32 trjam?
    because if so why?

kav is a great av when it works but it does seem to have quite alot of issues.
    this is not dissing kav but just making a point, and it does seem to have compatibility issues

nod32 works in harmony with almost all applications.
    and antivir comes close to that.

i just want to setup an av and then let it do its job. i dont want to have to babysit it because it decided to turnoff for no reason.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

I have found that shopping for something is often more fun than buying. When I was looking for a laptop I had all sorts of fun looking at specs and sales. When I finally bought one, Toshiba, that fun was over, and now I am enjoying playing with different AVs and AS applications.

I am sure that all I have tried would be perfectly satisfactory from a security standpoint, assuming they run well on my system, but I also need something to try. So that is the fun of all this. Unfortunately, I am not very knowledgeable in the area of computers so have to be cautious.

I am liking Avira Classic since I installed it a couple of days ago.

I don't play new applications with my desktop, and have settled on KAV 6, LnS, Ewido Plus, SAS, UnHackMe, Snoopfree, and Win Patrol. I also have a-squared as an on-demand scanner and, making an execption, alternate Counterspy beta 2.0 with SAS.

Just keep on shopping, and having fun. If your system crashes please let us know so I won't try that application.:D

Regards,
    Jerry

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no I am not knocking Nod, I am keeping a license for them so when their suite comes out, i can try it.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats ok then. soon i will be trying fsis2007 to see if its better and lighter than fsis2006 and it should be.
    if im not happy with it i will probably get the antivir suite when my license runs out. but if fsis2007 is lighter as people are reporting it could be fine to stick with and then maybe add online armor or prevx1

16. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

So far it seems that KAV and NOD32 are the choice of Pro and Non Pro users with Avira thrown in for good measure.

I use both, one on each PC and I'm very far from being a pro, more like a Pro Newbie :D

17. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Avira is definitely the choice of the poor/cheap 'PRO' :)

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

IMO. but antivir may be cheap be its really good.

19. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes i don't doubt its effectiveness, i was actually referring to the free version being for cheap/poor 'pros'.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok then

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would still hold back just a little, until the Retrospective/ProActive Test is released around the first of December. I still think false positives are a issue. But that can be fixed.

22. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I am using Avira Premium with the heuristics on the highest level and no FP's here at all. I also have licenses for NOD and KIS.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if it has fp's you can just report em. every av has FP's.

24. gyl

gyl Registered Member

not a pro;but safe for 3 years
    antivir premium,comodo fw,routeur wi-fi speedtouch,pop peeper (for mails):cool: and home xp sp2 updated

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nice setup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.