What am I Supposed to do?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by WilliamP, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

When I reboot then click on PG I get this C:windows\System32\ups.exe[920]Tried to modify an existing driver/service named ups. What is it and what am I supposed to do. Thank you for the help.

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Ok I have done some research and realized it has somethine to do with a UPS. I do have an APC UPS connected to my computer. It has the software to shut down the computer.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

William - If you haven't already, you'll have to add ups.exe to the PG list of protected programs.

After you do so, click on its' entry in the list. Then, click the field for the drop-down menu containing "Blocked Flags" "Allowed Flags" and "Options" and select "Options" and put a checkmark in "Allow Driver/Services Install" and let us know if that clears the alert and lets the UPS device work correctly (that means, run an actual test on it after doing the above by un-plugging the computer while it's on). Pete

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Why would UPS.EXE need privileges to add a service? The UPS service already exists. What does the log entry say, exactly?

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It's probably a self checking mechanism :) it tried to modify an existing service, but as a guess I would say either allowing it or leaving it blocked would result in the same behaviour in the end. But since its a modify action, I'd simply allow service installs for the UPS :)

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Nameless,
    I am guessing but Belkin UPS's (mine is three years old) for instance do not use the Windows built in service and appears to use it's own, as the one I have here is not recognised in the standard windows power options.

So it is probably OK to add it and give it allow service/install driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.