What am I missing?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Hawkeye, Sep 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Guest

I've been running Ad-Aware 6.0 in my never-ending battle against spyware. It's a pain because I have a large HD and it takes as much as 30-45 minutes for it to completely scan. Nevertheless, I do that because invariably, it detects 15-50 spyware components everyday.

I thought I had discovered the solution of my dreams w/Spyware guard 2.2. I wanted something that would intercept spyware BEFORE it installed on my HD.

I've been running Spyware guard 2.2 for about two weeks now. All functions are green checked. The logfile is empty so far. However, Ad-Aware 6.0 continues to detect new spyware on every scan.

I was expecting Spyware guard 2.2 to reduce the number of hits I was getting on Ad-Aware. According to Spyware guard, there has been no spyware installed. According to Ad-Aware, it continues to be installed everyday. What am I missing?

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

You should probably download SpywareBlaster ( http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html ) in addition to SpywareGuard.

SpywareBlaster doesn't run in the background, but will protect against ActiveX-based spyware (SpywareGuard doesn't cover this type of spyware).

If you install SpywareBlaster, the number of spyware items you see all the time should drastically reduce, and SpywareGuard should catch most of the other non-ActiveX spyware.

(Please note: ActiveX-based spyware is currently the most common type of spyware.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Hawkeye,

Now that you have SpywareBlaster enabled, too, and are still getting spyware, you'll need to tell us exactly what Ad-Aware is detecting as there are many forms of spyware out there. Some very bad ones are prevented by the combination of SpywareBlaster (esp. ActiveX based spyware and dialers) and SpywareGuard (esp. spyware that comes in .EXE files that you are installing on your system).

But, there are other forms of spyware that come via other mechanisms that wouldn't be prevented by these tools.

Also, what browser/version are you using? Is it an IE version or some other? Some protections from these tools are only effective in IE, while some will help all browsers.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Sounds to me like you simply need to block third-party cookies.

Good luck,
    Acadia

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Registered Member

Here is a sampling of the files that Ad-Aware is quarantining on a regular basis. All of these files have been detected since I installed Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard.

Maybe I have misunderstood just what Blaster and Guard are supposed to do.

I'm currently running IE 6.0

I've noticed that two of these files are acting like active links even as I post them. What's up with that?

GATOR
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    obj[0]=RegKey : Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\moduleusage\C:/WINDOWS/Downloaded Program Files/PdpPlugin5094.dll
    obj[1]=RegValue : Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
    obj[2]=File : c:\windows\downloaded program files\pdpplugin5094.dll
    obj[4]=File : c:\windows\downloaded program files\pdpplugin5094.dll

TRACKING COOKIE
    obj[3]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@clickbank[1].txt

SWIMSUITNETWORK
    obj[0]=RegKey : Software\MediaCharger

TRACKING COOKIE
    obj[1]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@advertising[2].txt
    obj[2]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@atdmt[2].txt
    obj[3]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@bfast[1].txt
    obj[4]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@centrport[2].txt
    obj[5]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@doubleclick[1].txt
    obj[6]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@fastclick[2].txt
    obj[7]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@mediaplex[1].txt
    obj[8]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@servedby.advertising[1].txt
    obj[9]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@trafficmp[2].txt
    obj[10]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@tribalfusion[1].txt
    obj[11]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@z1.adserver[1].txt
    obj[12]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@zedo[2].txt
    obj[13]=File : c:\documents and settings\user\cookies\user@fastclick[2].txt

6. LowWaterMark

Hmm, just looking at the list of cookies you are getting tells me that there is some problem with SpywareBlaster on your system.

Can you paste a screen shot of what the entire SpywareBlaster window looks like when you first open it and simply scroll the listing down to where it shows:

"[ ] BannerBank Cookie"
    "[ ] Bfast Cookie"
    "[ ] BlueMountain Cookie"

A view of the window may tell us whether the settings are sticking or not once enabled and SpywareBlaster is restarted.

IE 6.0 is the version that the SpywareBlaster cookie control is meant to work in.

7. Hawkeye

Ok, let's see if I can do this. Here is the requested screen capture attached.

Attached Files:

8. LowWaterMark

Well, it all looks perfect - version, item counts, status of protection (even that the cookie section is listed, sometimes it's not under some circumstances). It looks like SpywareBlaster is setting everything just fine.

Do you have any special settings in IE. Still focusing on why the cookie control is not working for you... Below is an image of my Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options... > Privacy tab's advanced settings. Notice that Bfast, just as an example, was added there by SpywareBlaster as an always block. Does your all look roughly the same?

If so, maybe Javacool has some specific questions regarding the versions, languages paks, and possible conflicting software applications and all that, because I've just run out of ideas I'm afraid. :doubt:

Attached Files:

9. Hawkeye

Now maybe we're getting somewhere. I've adjusted my IE cookie settings as you have yours. I see that Spyblaster has added all the 'always block' sites.

Thanx, I'll let you know how it goes now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.