What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbissett, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbissett

dbissett Registered Member

I can't get a differential backup to start, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. When I did the first bu I set the program to bu "computer" on the first option screen.....I believe this makes a "disk image", if I understand it right. Then when I tried to schedule a differential backup I set the first option screen to "data", and selected the original disk image file as the original file to base the differential bu on. Maybe this is wrong. However, if I set the first screen to "computer" when trying to schedule a differential bu, it tries to do a whole new image even if I check "differential bu" later in the wizard. So what to do? I'm thinking now that a disk image must be a standalone file that can't be added to incrementally. So maybe I do a disk image AND a full data backup, and add to the full bu incrementally. IF this is true then it seems to be a bit redundant to do a disk image, PLUS a full bu followed by incremental backups (or differentials). What is correct, and what is "best practice"? Thanks anyone.

Dave

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

You chose the correct option - Computer for your full image, you now need to choose the same option again and then click on the Differential type, the file name will be the same as the full image (if you have already made a full image you can just select that file, you will need to give the task a different name, but everything ought to work after that.

Colin

3. norrisg

norrisg Registered Member

If you do a full image backup (selecting "computer") and you then select all your partitions, then you have a backup of your data. You do not need to backup your data separately.

A differential backup will backup what has changed since a full backup: it needs the previous full backup in order to create the difference file. You will end up with something like these:

Backup01.tib (the full backup)
    Backup012.tib (first differential backup based on Backup01)
    Backup013.tib (2nd differential backup based on Backup01)

(Note that defragging between a full image backup and a differential or incremental backup will make the extra file quite large.)

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

If you are new to TrueImage Home, perhaps my guides can help. Check line 2 of my signature below.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.