What about Spyware Doctor? Spy Sweeper

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

expires in 53 days and I've been reading all the negative comments here. I already "own" S D with a work license. I update it but don't use its real time protection because of other applications running. What is your opinion of S D? Thank You!

2. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I love SD. My 2 knocks on it are:

1. Occasional False Positive
    2. Adds about 1 minute to my boot up time as the program starts slowly

But overall, I feel that it is the best antispyware going. Just as good as Spysweeper with significantly less resource use.

PS...Spysweeper is also a great program, but consumes far too many resources.

3. corkee

corkee Registered Member

Honestly, I think Spyware Doctor uses too many resources but excellent in detection.

Spysweeper is good at detection also, but it takes way to long just to finish a scan.

So in resource-wise, I would go with Spyseeper. =)

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Spyware Doctor - one big false positive.
    Spy Sweeper - a bit heavy, but seemed OK the last time I checked.
    Mrk

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if i was you i would try trend micro antispy i have found it to be a good product great detection rate and quite light as well.
    nice gui.
    heres the trial
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/as/evaluate/overview.htm
    lodore

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Trend micro antispyware is my pick of the bunch, its very light and always does well in tests.

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

It would also be helpful to know what other programs you have running as to help choose a program that compliments your security suite.

8. ratchet

Sure! Comodo Firewall, NOD32, AVG AntiSpyware and Windows Defender (I keep it in real-time because it is very vigilant about creating restore points before most installations). One thing you all might be interested in, is the fact that if you just scan memory (I have 1G and it usually takes about 1½ to two minutes) with AVG A-S, it releases (for a better word) memory other applications have tied up. e.g. I just checked and at this very moment SpySweeper.exe 820 and SpySweeperUI.exe 4260 for a total of 5080. I did the memory scan last night before putting my pc in Stand By. I've been surfing for about one hour now. Unless I run a scan with another application, all my programs will run low like this all day. Also, months and months ago ewido (AVG A-S) found and removed Tacoda Cookies on my system that got past everything else. I hope it still does that! At any rate, maybe it's (AVG) all I need. One other thing while I'm at it, I had always used ZA Pro as my firewall but they only allow you to reinstall it for like 30 days (should you need to reformat or something) or so unless you cough up another $6 or $7. That kind of made me mad so when it was about to expire recently I went to Comodo and am quite impressed. Have a Linksys router anyway for when my adult children visit us. Thank You for the responses, value your opinions so keep them coming.

9. ejr

ejr Registered Member

\

I think you have plenty of protection without adding SS or SD to your arsenal. More is not necessarily better.

10. ratchet

One other point I failed to mention: I only ever go to sites like this (so I can learn) and sports forums so I never get any spy ware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.