what about ProcessGuard?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is ProcessGuard a hips or behabiour blocker?is it effective at blocking malware?whats the story?thanks in advance.:thumb:

2. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

who says behaviour blockers can't also be HIPS'?

HIPS is a rather ambiguous term that has been applied to all sorts of things (including virus scanners)...

from their web page, processguard seems to be a purpose-built behaviour blocker (by which i mean it seems to block a certain critical set of behaviours as opposed to the more configurable behaviour blockers that allow the user to define their own rules)...

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

plus a black list of malware and scaner:thumb:

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

ProcessGuard has been eclipsed by more recent SSM, ProSecurity (Realtime Defender), releases, et al.
    Yet there are many here who still find it adequate for their HIPs requirements.
    A search here for Process Guard in the title will yield hundreds of results.
    MHO: If you are security aware / a safe surfer, your WinPatrol may be adequate.

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The term "HIPS" doesn't seem to refer to one specific type of software anymore. As for Process Guard, IMO the best way to describe it would be a rule based application firewall. They were one of the pioneers of this type of software. The paid version does quite a bit more than the free one. Their site (DiamondCS) has a comparison of the two here. I haven't used PG, but based on their description and screenshots, the paid version has a lot in common with SSM. Like most apps of its type, how well it protects you is largely dependent on how it's configured. If you do not require detailed control over individual applications, the free version may be to your liking. If you prefer to fine tune each apps permissions, check into the paid version of SSM. A lot of people have used the free version of PG and were quite happy with it. Considering the unknown status of DiamondCS and the lack of development and customer support, I'd avoid buying the paid version.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I was lucky enough to be like the case with FD-ISR to have gotten my investment in on time before it went silent. Although maybe not the best anymore, it still serves a very worthy purpose provided you have the paid version, the free version was much too limited IMO.

While now with the old version it can't be depended on soley as b4, it does an extremely good job in tandem with other security apps and is stable.

So is my honest take on (old/last) Progress Guard.

I employ it on a single machine only of course, but am quite satisfied with it as-is, shame it was left to twist in the wind and left behind as abandoned.

EASTER

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks all for replying and i been trying it with success,it is fast,ligth,secure and have some place to play around for with easy configuration.may be it is abounded but still works fine,it is clean and it is not buggy.thanks again.i will try to run it with defensewall and see the results.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.