What About A Virtualization Forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Genady Prishnikov, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Admins....

What about a sub-forum (like some of the others) specifically for Virtualization? So many threads in the "Software, Hardware and General Services" are threads about Rollback, FD-ISR, Returnil, ShadowProtect, VMWare, etc. Since these type programs are the future of computer security, I think it would be great to see a sub-forum dedicated to all things virtual!

What do you think?

Genady

ON EDIT: MODS....Feel free to move to appropriate forum. I wasn't thinking - I could have put this in general topics or whatever. I'm curious to see what others think of the idea though. Maybe it could stay here for a day or so?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Genady,
    I think that is a great idea and you have my vote :cool:

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Genady Prishnikov,
    I guess you mean ShadowUser instead of ShadowProtect or did you mean PowerShadow ? :D
    Doesn't matter, there are so many shadows lately. You got my vote too.

4. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Hi Erik Albert!

How funny! You are right, I get all the "powers" confused. I was thinking of PowerShadow, but ShadowUser would fit too!

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Virtual machines, reboot-to-restore apps and sandboxes have caught the attention of many Wilders' members. I think that a "Virtualization Forum" seems a very good idea.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

A little problem might be the name "Virtualization Forum". Not all products belong to virtual software.
    FirstDefense-ISR, Deepfreeze, ... are REAL, while PowerShadow, ShadowUser, Returnil, ... are VIRTUAL.
    But most of them have one thing in common : boot-to-restore or maybe Immediate System Recovery.

Maybe backup softwares, like ShadowProtect also belong to this forum, because all these software RECOVER your system, as long you don't consider them as security softwares.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Add Sandboxie to that idea please.

8. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Good call, Genady.
    Sure, toss in SP/PS/Returnil/SandboxIE/VMware/VirtualBox etc., as references to those apps are found in multiple forums here already and it would be nice to see them in their own forum.
    I think it would be a great idea, as long as the Mods aren't spread too thin.

9. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

I made a similar suggestion some time ago, unfortunately the thread was closed, preventing further discussion and input about potential changes in the layout of the forum. Hopefully this thread will be allowed to remain open, depsite the inconsistency, because it is an important matter that needs to be addressed. Furthermore, I think such input from the members here is instrumental in fostering a sense of community between everyone that frequents this forum. I've pasted the post I made about this a while ago as its content is still relevant. I've also included the post made by herbalist that gave me the idea for my suggestion.

While I obviously think that reconfiguring the layout of this forum is a good idea, all potential layouts are going to have their pros and cons, and none of them are going to be ideal. But we should always seek the best alternative, which in this case happens to be the general direction of the suggestions in this thread.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all,

The same comments still do apply, and are referenced here.

On a side note, as is the case with thread moderation or any other aspects of forum operations, a PM to the appropriate Admin staff is the best course of action.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.