What’s a conduit? Hitman Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ciscodisco, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ciscodisco

ciscodisco Registered Member

Recently when scanning a computer with Hitman Pro a warning of a “conduit” came up. It had a shield and not the normal X in red.... It was as follows:

Name: SmartBar\
    File Path: HKU\Random Numbers and Letters \Software\AppDataLow\Software

I wondered what a conduit is/ is it safe and how a user managed to install one. Interestingly the AV ESET had not found it.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. guest

guest Guest

Conduit --> hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conduit_(publisher_network_and_platform)

Interestingly, it's also the name of Linux synchronization software:
    hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conduit_(software)

3. guest

guest Guest

Anyway, there's a possibility that it's a false positive. Check with other scanners as well like Malwarebytes. If still not sure, then try to ask about this to the official developer here.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It is something you normally don't want to have inside :p

Regarding ESET not detecting it, what version of ESET do you have installed? As of V6 the PUP detection is enabled by default if I remember correctly, but in earlier versions they are off by default, but can be enabled by the user of course.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I was wondering as well what this definition meant as i cleaned a friends computer who got hit with the FBI ransomware and while scanning with HMP in safemode with networking it detected this.

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

conduit is another useless stupid toolbar to collect user behavior and placing ads.

anyway - always install "custom" if possible or ion sandboxie for testing purposes.

7. ciscodisco

ciscodisco Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments.

8. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Same detection here and I am sure that there isnt any toolbar or crapware installed.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Go into your registry setting (regedit) and delete everything that says Conduit you will be fine doing so as it will stop anything used by it to stop working, and in most cases delete the culprit, only already active applications such as toolbars should be deleted also. In many cases deleting software does not remove the registry key, all it does is empty the contents of the key, but leaves the directory behind, Manually deleting these leftover keys ensures the program has gone for good, Many registry cleaners note these as being empty keys, and will never delete them.

10. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

I think adwcleaner will get rid of it as well.

11. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

It`s bad stuff, get rid off it !

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Conduit comes with uTorrent if any are using that particular app but can be deleted with no impact. MBAM has been detecting it for a while, good to see HMP picking it up.

Cheers

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Interesting, does settings.dat mitigate that? These remnants can always be removed manually anyways, don't use up your trial license.

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.