WGA notification tool uninstaller (RemoveWGA.exe)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by gkweb, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Thanks for the update gkweb.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

steps removed, see post below

Regards,
    gkweb.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  3. gkweb

RemoveWGA 1.3 beta :
    link removed by me, please read the post below

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  4. FrozeNn

FrozeNn Registered Member

this is horrifying.
    firstly, thanks gkweb for providing us the proggie. it works!

2ndly, just tested out, if ure using a non legit Windows, u cant have access to Windows Update. It will require u to validate.

so anyone has any idea whether u can go around and still have access to Windows Update without reformmating the PC ? :'(

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Why don't you buy a legal copy of windows?
    After you buy a legal license, there are ways to change the product ID so you don't have to reformat, just reactivate.
    Piracy is not good and you can never really be sure what else the cracker may have put inside.

6. gkweb

Hello,

After reviewing the mails I have received, talking with the people having troubles, and members here on the forum, it appears that only people having pirated copied cannot use RemoveWGA successfully.

While I still think that honest people being wrongly spotted as pirat should be helped, they are a minority, and should contact Microsoft. The other real pirated copies should not receive any help. I do not support piracy, and will stand on this.

If you have a pirated Windows, go buy a licence.
    Thanks you for your understanding.

Regards,
    gkweb.

7. FrozeNn

HEY DUDE! u got me wrong there. sent my pc for repair months ago and didnt realise they installed a new OS for me. I still have my LEGIT Windows XP serial number.
    Anyway to change the current one to the legit number, so that my windows can be "genuine" once again?

Thanks a million!

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

So you are saying the repair shop installed an illegal copy? If so then my apologies.
    If they installed a legal copy then they should have provided a OS disk and key for the one they did install.

9. FrozeNn

Its ok dude. But do u have any idea how to change the serial back to the legit one without reformatting?

Btw, my OS version is now Windows Xp Professional Version 2002.
    The legit cd key from my own is Windows Xp Professional but im nt sure whether its version 2002.

10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Do`t know of any other version other then 2002. could be mistaken

If my two above quotes are true then you need to go to the shop that did the install for a copy of the OS disk and legit key.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u dont want (or cant) use Microsoft/Windows Update, u can try autopatcher xp (neowin forums are currently down tho). try searching www.filemirrors.com or bittorrent for it.

there is also a shady windows update alternative (for firefox, netscape, opera. not IE) that i shall not name since mods tend to frown upon it. it works well tho.

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

This might be what your looking for Windows XP CD Key Changer
    http://www.mike-devlin.com/downloads/index.htm

13. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Peace Dude. No offense intended. I got the wrong impression from your posts:
    and
    One can unknowingly purchase pirated software that looks to be legit and just a good deal or in your case have your PC repaired and end up with it. This is another reason I don't like this WGA notifications, it causes MSunderstandings.

Sorry for the misunderstanding FrozeNn.

Here are two ways to change the Product Key without reinstalling:
    Change the product key on Windows XP

14. GS2

GS2 Registered Member

Many thanks gkweb for a great tool. I had blocked the notification tool from accessing the web with my software firewall, but this is a much better solution.

From the posts on M$ WGA forum, it seems many are unhappy to say the least.

My main annoyance is that M$ regard this as a 'critical' update, of course this is relative - it certainly isn't critical for a legitimate user. Seems designed to ensure users who are unaware of what the update really does, perhaps those that don't read the EULA, to install it as a matter of course.

As WGA it is still, I believe, a beta product, this is very bad practice to install on users system when it hasn't been fully tested. Of course I may be wrong, and apologise if I am.

15. Joyride

Joyride Registered Member

All I did to recieve my updates was disable the validation tool thats imbeded in the IE browser under manage addons. then I go to the update page and do a manual update. I did use a crack to remove the not a valid copy of windows icon in the task manager though. I get all my updates and it works fine for me.

Cheers

16. jmatt

jmatt Registered Member

To my way of thinking, everything is beta, thus the constant stream of updates, upgrades, hotfixes, patches, new versions etc on most programs & operating systems.

17. Fiery_Loki

Fiery_Loki Registered Member

Works like a charm on XP pro with SP2 :thumb:

18. R3SiN

R3SiN Registered Member

Outstanding tool!

Thank you gk.

19. trumpetman51

trumpetman51 Registered Member

WSFuser,
    Hello, I am a new member to this forum and it just recently became an issue for me to try to get rid of WGA notification tool. I found this series of posts and it appears that GKWEB's removal tool will do the job although I have not tried it yet.....I am still researching the issue. Guess I'm a bit behind you guys as this discussion took place back in JUNE!!!

Anyway, the reason I am writing this....you made mention of reformatting and using "ryanvm's update pack" and I couldn't help but wonder if this UPDATE PACK you spoke of has something to do with doing a clean install of XP and UPDATING without having to do it piecmeal as the updates become available to you from Windows Update. Anyway, that is how I have had top do it when I have had to do a clean install and as you probably know that takes a while. SO, (are you confused yeto_O) what I am asking you is: IS ryanvm's update pack something that brings a clean install of XP up to speed update-wise as I suspect it may be?? AND if it is, is there anyway that you could direct me as to how to obtain it for my own use?

Any and all help will be truly appreciated. Always looking for ANY way to make the JOB of using Windows as an OS as simple as POSSIBLE!!!!

Thank you.....I look forward to hearing back from you.

trumpetman

20. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, trumpetman51

Welcome to Wilders.

Just do a Google for RyanVM and have a read. :eek:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

21. Rico

Rico Registered Member

When I tried restoring using ERUNT, I got a message about windows not being valid: I started a thread at M$, as you can see it kind of just died. Anyway checkout:

Posts 2
    WGA & ERUNT
    Was this post helpful ?

Hello, ERUNT a small program for making a full backup of XP's registry, has a problem with WGA.

Note see: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

My latest WGA kb905474 & previous WGA's, causes EDRNT (ERUNT'S restore registry) upon restoring XP complains of a non genuine version of windows. Or

1. Restore previous copy of registry. From previous ERUNT backup

2. Reboot

3. Windows complains of non-genuine version.

Note: I've contacted the author Lars Hederer he believes the problem is with the WGA notification. Also this machine is running a registered, retail version of XP with SP2 installed.

Note: Can the notification process of WGA's KB905474 be undone?

Thanks

rico

Report Abuse

01 Jul 2006, 5:59 PM UTC
    Dan at IT Associates

Posts 1,477 Answer Re: WGA & ERUNT
    Was this post helpful ?

Rico1234,

ERUNT does not seem to be a logo-certified for Windows XP program.

Perhaps the author should modify the program so that it works with the latest versions of XP, WGA, and WGA Notifications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

Report Abuse

01 Jul 2006, 7:29 PM UTC
    krit86lr

Posts 15
    Re: WGA & ERUNT
    Was this post helpful ?

"Note: Can the notification process of WGA's KB905474 be undone?"

Is this what you're looking for? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914 If this article isn't what you are looking for there is one other solution that I am aware of although I'm not sure where MS stands with this tool. http://www.majorgeeks.com/RemoveWGA_d5170.html

btw - I love ERUNT and would be interested in any other solutions that you may find for this.

Report Abuse

03 Jul 2006, 2:05 AM UTC
    Rico1234

Posts 2 Re: WGA & ERUNT
    Was this post helpful ?

Hello Krit86lr,

Thanks for the KB921914 try unfortunately this is for the pilot version of WGA, and does not apply to the more permanent KB905474.

I ran across this: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm however be careful, some caveats are involved. I've emailed Lars again advising him of this thread. I was wishing that someone from Microsoft would get involved to help resolve this issue.

Take Care

rico

Report Abuse

03 Jul 2006, 4:13 AM UTC
    krit86lr

Posts 15
    Re: WGA & ERUNT
    Was this post helpful ?

Rico1234 wrote:
    Hello Krit86lr,

Thanks for the KB921914 try unfortunately this is for the pilot version of WGA, and does not apply to the more permanent KB905474.

I ran across this: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm however be careful, some caveats are involved. I've emailed Lars again advising him of this thread. I was wishing that someone from Microsoft would get involved to help resolve this issue.

Take Care

rico

Agreed on all of the above. It is my understanding that someone from MS will be able to help you starting Monday.

Good Luck! I'll keep my eye on this thread for sure. Most of the people on my favorite forums use ERUNT so this could be very useful information. :)

22. chopinjohn

chopinjohn Registered Member

Re: (RemoveWGA.exe)

gkweb:rolleyes:

This worked find but after having removed it, I found out that I had to activate my Windows XP over the phone within a 3 day period? It would seem to me that if you remove or firewall this WGA Notification tool, Microsoft just deactivate your Windows. So in actual fact there is no point in either uninstalling or getting my firewall to prevent it from calling home?
    Any suggestions please.

23. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

while it is intended to update windows, it works by updating your winxp cd not your existing installation. for the latter you can try autopatcherxp.

also, ryanvm recently dropped WGA notifications from his update pack and simply offered it as a separate addon.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  24. gkweb

@chopinjohn

RemoveWGA and your activation should not be related.
    RemoveWGA basically removes two files, WgaLogon.dll and WgaTray.exe.
    These two files are related only to the wga notification update, and absolutly not to wga activation.
    Moreover, on all computers I've personally tested and from all feedback I've received by email, no one experienced your problem, and I don't see how it could be possible anyway (on legit copies, I mean).

If your Windows copy is legit, simply activate it again with Internet.
    If not, needless to say this forum isn't the place to ask for help.

Regards,
    gkweb.

25. totoantonio

totoantonio Registered Member

Hey,,,,i can't find the file...Maybe they removed the file already. I can't download the apps...Maybe, your apps is too good that it's giving them headaches already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.