WGA notification - new MS update today :(

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by donnar1969, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I have KB905474 on my pc. How to remove it? I cannot remove it with CCleaner or control panel.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

There used to be an uninstaller around. But in can't you get it, boot from a live CD, like UBCD4WIN or some Linux - delete the files, the dlls and such.

After that, you'll be able to use registry cleaners to clean the remaining crap.

Mrk

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you Mrkvonic.

I will search for an uninstaller:)

4. Jomsviking

Jomsviking Registered Member

There is an uninstaller - RemoveWGA - made by gkweb, a member of this forum.

If memory serves, gkweb was asked by m$ to take it from his site, but you can still get the tool from other places, such as softpedia.

5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks Jomsviking

and majorgeeks.com :)

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

What is WGA Notifications?

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

To me, WGA Notification is like sending a police officer to your house to check the engine serial number of the chassis number of your car, to make sure it's genuine.

= invasion of privacy and trust

Mrk

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Remove WGA works nicely :D

9. xheffalumpx

xheffalumpx Registered Member

I don't mind Microsoft implementing some means to ensure you're using legit software of theirs. That is fair enough.

However, what I do not like is when it installs something like "wgatray.exe" or whatever else and then these programs seem to be uncontrollable. They run themselves, or access the internet without your approval or even knowledge (if you don't have a software firewall you'd never know!). Why do certain things need to run whenever they want? Why can't they be restricted to only be active when you go to windowsupdate.com?

If Microsoft or in fact any software company wants to implement anti piracy measures that's fine but they should do it in a way that is not like the above, where you end up blocking things with your software firewall just because it is running at what might be described as inappropriate times (for example, any time when you're NOT visiting windowsupdate...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.