WGA notification - new MS update today :(

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by donnar1969, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnar1969

donnar1969 Registered Member

this stupid thing again. "new & improved" security measures to make sure my version if windows is indeed genuine."

didnt' i prove that the LAST time i had to install WGA? i had major problems with wga the last time around, and i'm scared to install this update. anyone care to share experiences on this new update?

2. appster

appster Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. This whole thing is getting to be absurd. I just downloaded and attempted to install the lattest WGA, only to have it refuse to install because of some ActiveX problem (and yes, my WinXP is legal)! :(

3. donnar1969

donnar1969 Registered Member

i'm pretty sure this won't be the last new & improved version of wga either. <sigh>

going to wait til i hear of it actually working for someone until i install it. know of any way i can get rid of the yellow install shield icon ?

4. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I'm afraid this is a never ending game of tag. Every time the pirates crack WGA, Microsoft will be have to install a new version of WGA. There really is no way around it :(

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm going to install this new update, because I can't even use Windows Update.
    I have :
    - the bill of Windows to prove I bought it.
    - I have a CD
    - I have only one computer without hardware changes.
    - I have a long serial number of Windows and
    - I have WPA and
    - I have WGA and
    - I kissed Bill's feet.
    I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to make it work, I hope it's not a sexual thing.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

WGA is big money for Microsoft.

ZDNet
    Pirates, people like paradox team and the like will have a new target, conquest but interestingly MS is

7. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

The WGA notification is quite normal. The reason you are asked to install the active x is because your previous download of the active x is out of date or has been removed or damaged in some way hence you are asked to download it again which in turn makes sure your computer is legal :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh! I always thought my computer is legal.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i agree its absurd.. i had to actually call to re-activate an already legal copy of vista!!! this is ridiculous imo

10. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

It installed without the slightest problem,didnt give it a second thought.

There really shouldnt be any worries,but by the sound of your history,who knows.

11. ErikAlbert

I finally could download and install an arrear of exactly 85 patches. Maybe I have to do it on Wednesday.
    My boot-to-restore takes still less than 2 minutes, so I keep the patches. :)

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    No reason to install spyware voluntarily ...
    Especially not one you pay money for.
    Mrk

13. ErikAlbert

So nobody needs those 85 patches, while qualified helpers at SWI advice users constantly to update Windows ? So what is the truth ? Or is it just your personal opinion ?
    And all security experts at Wilders agree with this ?

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I think Mrk means the WGA stuff specifically, not the patches.

I thought you can still use windows update without WGA ?

15. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Actually WGA has two parts. Windows Genuine Advantage Validation and Windows Genuine Advantage Notification. The first part is required for updates but the second is not.

16. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Don't bother with WGA, you don't need it for anything anyway.
    You'll receive updates automatically even if you do not have WGA installed, and you can still download DirectX, WMP etc.

17. ErikAlbert

My assumption is that any legitimate software, including Windows, is spying on users, just like my supermarkt, bank, ... is spying on me.
    The difference is that legit companies don't spy on you to hurt you, while malware has the intention to hurt you.
    If you don't like "good spying", don't go anywhere anymore and lock yourself up and don't use any computer or any communication tool anymore.

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

That is convincing yourself that everything is ok. And if the "good" guys turn bad tomorrow? What do you do then?

As to updates, WGA Validation is required for updates. WGA Notification is not. The Notification crap is pure corpo spyware and is not needed nor desired.

As to MS updates, then can be nice.

Personally, Erik: with you using FD-ISR, ATI, AE, and who knows what else, you really don't need any updates.

Mrk

19. ErikAlbert

That was/is my opinion too, that's why I still can rollback to my unpatched system, but different opinions, don't make it easier for me.
    Some users recommend Windows Update highly, others say you don't need it.
    WGA is necessary, if you want to use Windows Update or download any other software from M$.

In the army, it was alot easier to decide : the loudest voice was always right.
    The bottom line is : who is right ? Who is wrong ? Who is close to right ? Who is close to wrong ? I don't like multiple choice questions, I want a clear answer. Now, I'm stucked in a dilemma and I will never know to truth. :)

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Erik,
    You have the option to build security from the ground up using the most secure version of your OS and applications and closing gaps, loopholes with security and non-security (ISR, imaging) software/strategy or simply relying on your security and non-security software/strategy.
    I prefer the former approach :)

21. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

It's pretty funny to read that people actually believe it's required to get updates and software. Because it's not.

22. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Please explain. Are you talking about getting the updates from the MS site or are you talking about the other ways to get the updates?

Are their KB numbers KB892130 (Validation) and KB905474 (Notification)? If so, I have the Validation. I'm getting ready to rebuild Windows and would like to avoid them if possible. And yes, I have an OEM version and a shiny sticker on a 'puter I got at Wally World.

I have a feeling I will have to call Bill anyways as I've added a stick of RAM, replaced a cd/dvd burner and I'm not sure if they can see my external hard drive hooked to an internal SATA port :ninja: . If I do have to call, I will update them on what else is going on in my life ;).

23. ErikAlbert

Yesterday, I installed Windows SteadyState and rebooted. The reboot was very long, abnormal long.
    I clicked on the icon of SteadyState and got a message : "You have 3 days to activate Windows".
    My Windows IS already activated by phone. I uninstalled SteadyState immediately by refreshing my snapshot with an archive.

24. tgell

tgell Registered Member

innerpeace - Yes, avoid the KB905474. It is not required and is just some junk Microsoft says you should have. They even list it as a critical update. So, be careful with Automatic Updates. And when updating through their website, do not install KB905474.

25. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks tgell :thumb:. I always do manual updates at the MS site and I will avoid the WGA Notification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.