WG and Explorer.exe is not responding

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by fimoulia, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fimoulia

fimoulia Registered Member

Recently I installed a trial version of WormGuard and started, not imediately, but
    more and more, and now everytime, having problem with Explorer.exe is not responding on logging off computer. I found this unanswered thread from the past:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46284
    I have exactly the same problem. When I disable WG protection -the problem is gone.
    Is somebody else having this problem? Is there anything that can be done?

WinXP SP2
    Norton AV
    TDS-3
    Ewido
    MSAS
    SpybotS&D
    Ad-aware

Thanks.

2. passing thru

passing thru Guest

That's an interesting coincidence. I just started using Wormguard again on two of my XP systems (following clean installs of XP about six months ago). On both, I started seeing an occasional unresponsive explorer.exe alert when shutting down or rebooting. I decided to troubleshoot the issue this morning using, among other things, regedit.exe. I then started to get the alert at every shutdown. It turned out that every time I executed regedit and later rebooted, explorer.exe would hang at shutdown. After restoring and looking through some stored disk images, I traced the problem back to the time I installed Wormguard. When I disable WG, I can run regedit and reboot with no hanging. With WG enabled, executing regedit results in a hanging shutdown.

To double-check, I installed WG on a clean XP SP2 (fully patched) image and was able to duplicate the issue. What's puzzling is that, as both a long-time user of WG and a heavy user of regedit (on 2000 and XP systems), I am sure this did not happen in the past. Perhaps the issue is related to one or more recent XP patches.

Hope this helps.

3. fimoulia

fimoulia Registered Member

Hi passing thru,

Very interesting finding.
    As you can see also the post I linked is one year old and with SP1 with no recent MS patches. And seems that not many WG users are experiencing that problem. Would be interesting to learn how common it is.
    I like to watch Wormguard at work and would like to use it but with no related problems. How it can be resolved? Frankly I am myself not much computer skilled and can not dig it out.

Thank you for posting. :)

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi guys, :)

Does seem interesting and have not seen that before.

This PC I currently have is XP SP2 with recent patches and it's working fine with WG installed.

I did a test on this one just a few seconds ago before reading this thread and no problems, still working.

Cannot help though I am afraid, maybe someone else can help point out the troubles, as I am sure that if it had been SP2 and patches, then surely more would have been in the WG forum by now questioning it, though that does not help you guys in this instance. :doubt:

Cheers, TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.