Western Digital MyBook

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Beach, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beach

Beach Registered Member

I have a customer who broke their MyBookWorld NAS by knocking it off a shelf.
    WD won't cover it because of the accident, so I install a new drive, but nothing works on it without the NAS OS. I found the OS on the WD website, but none of my guys run Linux. (Its Linux based)
    Do any of you use MyBookWorld out there that can make an image of the drive minus the files of corse that you have backuped up?? The OS is the same for the 500, 750 or 1Gig drives. WD will only sell a new drive which is about 3/4 what my customer paid for the NAS drive. Thanks.

2. snifferpro

snifferpro Registered Member

What format is the op sys you found on the Western Dig site?

Is it an ISO or can it be made into an ISO?

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There may be a lesson here - backup the backup device first. I wonder if it is that simple - perhaps a sector-by-sector of the OS partition?

4. Beach

Beach Registered Member

Thanks for the answers guys. The file that I got from WD is a source coded file xxx.tar.bz2. The file size is 375 megs and uses an .sh which I think is the exe file for Linux.
    That's why I was looking for an ISO myself so I could load it and try it. Thanks again.
    ....And as far as backup a backup, your 100% right. Almost ALL of my sites have dual backups, one on site, the other offsite. But $$$ didn't dictate it on this job. Funny, it will now thou.

5. snifferpro

snifferpro Registered Member

If you have another customer or friend who as a WD I would try and Image that system and restore to the customers that is toasted.

6. Beach

Beach Registered Member

Well, looking into the imaging might be the easy thing now. I installed an extra SATA drive into the NAS, and I can't see it. I think that the way WD configures the drive to see the NAS interface through the OS only. There are lights both on the front of the NAS, and the NIC card. Neither of them are working. The drive is definitely running though. I connected a USB cable, same thing, can't see it in Windows.
    Guess I'll have to find an Admin who know/uses Linux and have him loaded it through that OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.