Western Digital Green Hard Drives

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

What have been your experiences with Western Digital Green Hard Drives? The user reviews on NewEgg are not as good as I would like to see.

Currently, I do not need another hard drive. However, with the hard drive shortage and the recent price increases, I am considering purchasing one or two hard drives. I see some WD Green hard drives going on special tomorrow (1TB WD Green $59.99 + Tax + Shipping(?), etc.).

I procrastinated on the 2TB WD Green hard drive the other day (~$85). They are all gone now.

Thanks in Advance.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have a 2tb one and I like it. I'm getting a new system soon that'll have an SSD for my OS and apps and a 1tb WD 7200 RPM drive for games. My 2TB one will then be only for multimedia storage; audio and video. I think it fits that purpose best. I wouldn't use it for anything intense like games, because you might end up bottlenecking. It's great for mass-storage though, if you don't require a lot of intense read/writing.

3. TheKid7

My PC use does not require much performance. I am not a Gamer.

On the PC that I use the most, I have a 2 TB Samsung 5400 RPM hard drive for my OS Partition + 2 Data Partitions. This PC is reasonably fast for what I do with it.

My greatest concern on hard drive selection is reliability.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have had 3 of them over the past few years, all 500 GB. One failed after about a year and a half of use, the other 2 were fine for longer, but my desktop motherboard failed, so I don't use any of them any more and don't know how long the remaining 2 would have lasted.

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I've had mine for nearly a year, and I have no complaints or issues, other than what I mentioned.

6. TheKid7

Can this External WD My Essentials Hard Drive be used as an internal hard drive by removing the drive from the case? It says something about "hardware encryption". Is "hardware" encryption" built into the hard drive itself or is it built into the external enclosure circuit board?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=240

BestBuy has a 1.5 TB one on special for $60.

7. TheKid7

I missed out. BestBuy is SOLD OUT.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I have used a WD Green 1TB as an external USB disk for about a year, installed in a Vantec USB 3.0 enclosure. It has worked very well, it is very quiet.

9. TheKid7

Today, I went to Office Depot and purchased one Western Digital 1 TB Green SATA 300 hard drive ($59.99 + Tax).

Currently, I am doing a "Zero Write" to all hard drive sectors using BootIt Bare Metal and my Rosewill USB 2.0 Hard Drive Dock.

Why am I doing a "Zero Write"?

1. To make sure that nothing objectionable (i.e., Malware) is on the new hard drive.
    2. To "Exercise" the hard drive to try to determine if there are any defect(s) that may not have been detected at the Factory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.