Western Digital Back Up Software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by JerryM, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I b0ught a WD external hard drive. It has Back Up software integral to it.
    It shows both a manual and automatic back up option. It also has the option of "Documents Only" and "All Files."
    The all files option copies all files including the operating system and all application files in addition to your documents.

Considering the above, why would one need another program such as Acronis or Ghost?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi JerryM,

It depends on what WD's software does. Does it create disk image/snapshots that you use to restore a complete working system? Or does it merely archive files? If it images and restores then it may very well be an alternative to TI, BootIT, or Ghost.

Nick

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I Don't know. It has a reverence to support.wdc.com.download.
    I'll go there and see if it tell me.
    Jerry

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Here is some info. I don't know if it is enough to answer the question or not. ??

Jerry

• IMPORTANT:The duplicate function of Retrospect is not intended to be used to create a bootable copy of your system drive. For more information on how to prepare for disaster recovery using Retrospect Express, please see Answer ID 1145

Backup

Backup copies all of your data into a backup set. A backup set is like an expandable bucket that holds all of your data. Every time you run a backup, data is added to the backup set bucket. Retrospect keeps track of all the data placed into the backup set in a separate index called a catalog file. After a backup you can use Retrospect to look at what is inside your backup set. To get data out of the backup set, you need to use the restore function in Retrospect. Restores are quick and make it easy to choose a backup date to restore from.

Choosing Backup in Retrospect is the best way to fully protect your data. Files are also compressed which saves media space. Backup sets can hold multiple versions of the same file allowing you to revert back to older files if needed. Backed up volumes have a label and a date stamp for each backup. You can restore to any date just by clicking on it in the Retrospect restore window.

Normal backups in Retrospect add data to the backup set. As a result the set will continue to grow and require more media every time you backup. You can get around this problem by periodically starting new backup sets or performing a recycle backup. A recycle backup will reset your backup set and start backing up all of your data from scratch. You will not be able to read the contents of the backup set members in Windows or the Macintosh finder. You need to use Retrospect to see the contents of your backups.

To begin the process of preparing for disaster recovery using Retrospect Express and a Media Center, Dual-option Combo, or Dual-option USB external hard drive, you must first backup your boot drive. For more information on how to backup your boot drive please see Answer ID 1146

Answer 1146. This is just a partial answer as it instructs the “how to.”After you have backed up your boot drive, follow the steps below to complete your preparation for disaster recovery.

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi JerryM,

Looks like it is based on EMC Dantz Retrospect. WD's in-house app is Data Lifeguard. I don't use Retrospect, but I have heard good things about it. Retrospect is a full-featured disaster recovery app.

Nick

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Nick,
    Thanks for the comment. I am going very slow with this, as I do not trust myself, and do not want to crash my computer.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.