We're moving shortly!!! - Actually we're there now!!

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LowWaterMark, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Cracked it......Couldn't wait for my ISP to get it's finger out.......so I did the 'host' thing.........a quick 'Lick and Stick' in Notepad, battled my way through the darkness and smoke and here I'am, my Captain, safe and sound......:D

Cochise,:cool: Breathing easy in Bratislava....

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

No cracking needed with Treewalk DNS :cool: . And its faster than any dumb ol' isp :D

Alphalutra1

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

We have arrived! Thank you Captain LWM!
    The grass really is greener on the other side. :D

5. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I just wanted to let everyone know that was concerned about my ability to access the forum that my ISP has updated its DNS, thus I have arrived.

For those of you that were not worried and actually placed phone calls to my ISP offerring them money not to update the DNS, I'm sorry.

For Wilders and everyone involved in the migration, I commend thee for such a smooth transition.

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I did the HOSTS file thing, didn't notice any interruption. I was busy wiping free space on my HDs :D

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

Hay so will mine here shortly. Oops your talking that puter stuff, I'm talking my residential address. In any case it is still my good ole Wilders no mater in what location it resides. Ditto the remarks about a good job!

Thanks
    Wildman

8. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

~a small voice is heard coming from the back seat~ Daddy, are we there yet? ;)

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hello all,
    Interesting how my emachine never missed a beat with the change over no host file change needed.

Yet my Compaq. No way, took me to the notice site everytime.

I hate tapering :p :doubt: with the internals of the machine system files.

Anyway I followed LWM instructions bore down into the system files and pasted.

Well I'm here by way of ye old Compaq, so it worked.

My question is why would one computer using the same ISP be different, why would one not need to add the lines to the host file and the other one need it. I will give you the only differences btween the two that I think could possibly make a difference and let the membership give me their thoughts.

Compaq is XP retail box not mass install version, (don't think that would make any difference) Emachine came with XP already installed no disk.

Emachine is wireless, Compaq is not, yet like I said no problem getting the instructions by coming to the forum by way of emachine. :doubt: I am behind a FW router of course.

Outpost FW on Compaq, McAfee on Emachine.

o_O to me...any suggestions....? Oh well I'm here on the Compaq now, looks like no harm done by pasting those two lines in the hosts file ;)

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Has the Compaq system been up and running continuously for a while? Systems and programs can cache domain name translations and reuse those rather than querying out to the ISPs DNS servers. For example, Outlook Express has a nasty habit of doing that, and might even have to be exited and restarted to get it to pick up a changed address of your email server.

Also, XP has a service called "DNS Client" whose whole purpose is to cache DNS entries locally on your machine. So, you end up with a layer between you and real-world DNS updates. (Personally, I think a lot of the people that at this very moment are still hitting the old server, are doing so because of DNS Client doing this on their systems.) Most of those sites (like blackviper and others) that advise you on necessary versus unnecessary XP Services will tell you that 'DNS Client' is one that really ought to be disabled. For an end user PC, (ie. not a DNS server on a local LAN), caching DNS locally is truly overkill and definitely not needed.

For people running DNS Client, there is a command you can type in a CMD window to dump the cache and reload:

Start (menu) > Run... > ipconfig /flushdns

11. mercurie

Thanks for your quick reply LWM.

I rebooted yesterday evening thinking that would solve the problem, but yes I stay up and running all the time.

But you hit on something in your reply... what about Out Post DNS Caching plug in that is turned on? :doubt:

12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Outpost has a DNS caching plugin? (I need to get out more. :doubt: )

It's possible, but someone like P2K (or other Outpost users) might need to comment on how that works.

13. mercurie

Yes, I activated it because as a feature it said pages and sites would load faster. I just ran the help file in Out Post to investigate further, it has limits that you can use to set expirations... I checked mine out they are as follows:

Limit DNS cach to 100 records and DNS cach records expire in 7 days.

To me it is just a toy that can report stuff if needed out of the the log. I am sure someone else could give me a dozen reasons why I need it. Before this latest version I had it turned off.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened after 7 days.

;)

14. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Outpost's DNS Cache does not respect TTL (Time-To-Live) attributes on DNS records but will instead keep the value for 14 days (the default - though you can change this) regardless so it certainly could cause problems with site address changes, as could other DNS caching software. It is however possible to clear entries if a problem is suspected (right-click on the plugin, select Properties/Miscellaneous/DNS Records/Edit/Remove All) and exceptions can be specified for dynamic domains that change often (e.g. dyndns.org).

15. mercurie

This is good to know Paranoid. Had I known this I would have cleared the enteries. As I really do not like to bore down into the system files and make changes, and only do when a problem occurs.

"If it is not broke don't fix it or try to tweak something that is working", Is my way.

I am not sure how useful this plug in is, I have used it both on and off and can not really tell any difference, but I know only a little of such things. On my Compaq the less RAM useage the better since it is at 256 with no more slots left for me to slip another card in and I do not wish to invest anymore in this old system anyway. ;)

16. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

DNS caching is also done by the DNS Client Service on Win2K/XP so Outpost's caching would likely make very little difference there. However there are security advantages to disabling the DNS Client Service since it then forces applications to make their own DNS requests (making it possible to detect/block the DNSTester leaktest and malware using similar techniques) in which case Outpost's DNS plugin becomes less redundant.

Aside from that, the main factor would be your Internet connection and your ISP's DNS server. Those on dialup and/or with problematic DNS servers should gain more benefit from DNS caching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.