We're Hiting A Dead End

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by EASTER, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

It's mostly a hobby for me here too. Load up with the latest and greatest security apps or settings and then wade off into the somewhat unknown to see how bad things get zonked. I find watching malware kill or be killed more exciting than free cell any day. :D

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm still of the belief that there remains yet a few more kinks in the road (MBR Protection for one), that needs be addressed by small standalone apps rather then depend on some full blown, overgrown behemoths of security-ware to keep these sections guarded.

I have grown fond of HIPS though, it's more relaxing then tense to watch a malware "intent" while it's suddenly aborted in mid-flight by Approach Control rather than the chore and anxiety of running scanners thru their paces to de-register the beasts and clean up the debris After-The-Fact. :)

3. Threedog

HIPS is good if you know what you are doing with it.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Maybe its time to take another look at ones like SafeSpace.

5. Threedog

Trjam....I gotta hand it to ya buddy....I don't think there ever was or will be anyone on all of Wilders who changes security set ups as much as you do. :D

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Trjam is the weathercock of Wilders. :D

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Tommorrow is another day :D

8. Threedog

And another setup for Trjam :cautious:

9. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I think that is exactly true. Wilders folk just like to tweak and hack their systems.

I don't think that is true. Having a good anti-virus, windows firewall turned on, a fully patched system and some common sense makes the risk of being infected by malware negligible.

10. Threedog

You're probably about 99.9% right. In my normal everyday surfing it is very very rare that I see any action. If I want trouble I pretty well have to go looking for it.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, for that matter and for good measure, a Limited User Account could help trim the fat on security-ware. It really boils down to how far out in the deep users will travel, some like the dark more then the lighter safer side and those are the ones who better have some good metal ahead of their travels. :cool:

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, don´t get me wrong, most of these guys see this stuff as a hobby so I do understand them, but it´s just that I hardly see any true innovative products at the moment, nothing to get excited about! And I agree about what you said about HIPS, they need to get smarter, because sometimes they can get quite annoying. At the moment I feel quite safe, but on the other hand it would have been nicer if I had even more powerful security tools on my system, but like I said, seems like this is it, we are indeed hitting a dead end. :rolleyes:

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I actually found one program that made some sense, Drive Sentry, of course, my lack of luck continues and I find SandboxIE conflicting with DriveSentry causing a mess. I may have to start looking for an alternative to SandBoxIE, something about it (possibly its driver?) pisses off a lot of programs.

14. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

The best SafeSpace I ever saw is VMWare :)

Though, you need at least 2GB RAM and 4Gz to be comfortable.

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Frankly, after tlu's threads, the only thing you guys seem to miss is pictures.

1-Only admin can write to x y and z. LUA cannot.
    2-LUA user can only execute from x y and z.

What can be simpler? The only problems are:
    1-program g needs admin rights. tlu shows SuRun.
    2-XP Home is limited, no SRP. tlu shows how to turn Home into Pro.

The only thing that slows me down is i have XP Home, and i use Debian mostly. Otherwise, i would have tried it already, and probably wouldn't use anything else.

It's a very simple solution, built in. A bit of hair pulling, but only to configure, not to use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.