Well...uninstalled it.

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Kegel, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Been a happy user of PG for many many months. Had to go. Cant play my favoirite games anymore...and with BF2 out now, it was the final straw. This is such a great piece of software...I think the devs should do a better job in getting the word out....microsoft or someone else will eventually do it and steal the idea. The only way to get the punkbuster thing sorted is increase the user base of PG becasue as it stands, I dont think the Punk Buster a-holes care.

2. lupus

lupus Registered Member

I am in the same boat, bought PG, loved it, and had to uninstall because of Punkbuster, this makes me sad and very angry, i absolutely despise Punkbuster.
    As Wayne from DCS stated in another related thread, it would be easy for someone to figure out how Punkbuster detects ProcessGuard and then slightly "hack"/modify ProcessGuard so it is no longer detected by Punkbuster.

Honnestly, as the guys from DCS are obviously the best positioned to do this and since it is a threat to their best known and probably selling program, i don't really understand why they do not come forward with ways to keep on using PG and still be a gamer.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I wouldn't trust a company or a program that tries to undermine ProcessGuard.

Rich

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

But DS should also bring out a fix that is hard to break for PG..

5. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :p Think of the implications :(

6. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Hi.

You can still play with PG installed, just not on servers that run punkbuster which lets face it is pretty crap anyway & there are loads of ways & hacks to bypass it, im suprised most still run it as spotting a bot is pretty easy to do.

Since this has gone on for months & still no resolution, maybe its time for DiamondDCS to start a dialogue again with evenbalance to try & resolve it, surely DCS has some legal right for their app not to be blacklisted in this way on a global scale.

Posting at the evenbalance forums gets you nowhere as they really dont care & in most of the admin & mod replies there they just slag of the poster for not knowing what they are talking about.

Or why not get a lot of affected folk to threaten EB with legal action saying they are comprimising peoples security just for a game.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Guys

I think you are flogging a dead horse. If they don't care about their customers posting in the forums, why do you think they'd care about dialogue with Wayne. As to DCS having a "legal" right. The cost of defending that right in the courts make it a non option. This I know from experience. You have a choice, PG security or games. Or the other option that I have mentioned in many of these posts.

8. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Why is it flogging a dead horse?

Simple fact is evenbalance have accused anyone who uses this of being a possible cheat & in my opinion blackened the name of DCS.

There is no point posting at the EB forums as all U get is a generic responce from the admin basically saying if U dont like it then tough.

You might not play many games Peter but Quake 3 is my way of having a good time & winding down at night, now i cant even do that on most servers because of those idiots at EB blacklisting everyone that uses PG.

DCS's view has been to leave it to EB team to fix, months later EB aint fixed it, surely i have the right to have a secure PC & also to have a little fun playing a game.

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Oddbod,

I would look at the whole problem a bit differently (as I have in the past in a similar situation).

1) I installed ProcessGuard to give me a very high level of security against programs/companies that may want to intrude into my privacy.

2) A game manufacturer seeks to disable PG.

3) I have a choice between using PG as I originally intended to - that is to secure my PC, or to unsecure it to let a company do what they want. The question, I had to asked myself is am I serious about my security or not. EB certainly is not. Stay away from them.

Rich

10. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi All,

Forgive me if I sound stupid and disregard me if this sounds real stupid because I am neither a online gamer or a PG user.

Don't you have to disable PG to, for instance, update windows. Couldn't you just disable PG when you're online playing your games?

And if you don't trust the servers you log into to play the games, why would you go on their servers in the first place? And what did people do before PG came out, did everyone get their computers compromised?

Regards,

Jaws

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Can't speak for eveyone, but I can speak for myself. Yes, I did.

Rich

12. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

I don't know anything about punkbuster, but from reading what it does, I can take a guess at what I think is a fairly valid reason for banning anyone that uses PG...PG can block the server from reading executables, which probably means that you can run 'cheat programs' without being detected by the server that is hosting you...so they ban it.

If that guess is right, then I doubt they'll ever change their stance on that (though if you disabled PG they should let you, I would think)

So it wouldnt actually be a black mark against PG's name, but rather an acknowledgement that PG does what it says it does.

13. Peter2150

Hi Oddbod

I can't speak for Wayne, but if I were him, I would view it as a issue that just isn't worth my time, as the only way to succeed, is to back off and weaken PG. Only my opinion.

BUT, as I have posted several times, there is a way you can have your cake and eat it. Not going to bother repeating myself unless you are seriously interested.

Pete

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I ran into a situation with a "gaming company" that was actually trying to install a service that would scan by hard drive and send information home. Purportedly to uncover any "cheat programs", but you know, once someone starts scanning the hard drive, anything goes.

Rich

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

How about a link to those previous posts? I don't game (do use ProcessGuard) but I've been following this issue. (Maybe I even read your solution some time ago and have forgotten). I'm curious as to what the solution is that you say you have.

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mele20,

I assume Peter was referring to this. Naturally, creation of a second boot partition for game activity, and without PG installed, should accomplish the same objective. A brute force solution to be sure, but readily implemented.

Blue

17. Peter2150

Just to amplify a bit, what I would actually do is first create a 2nd snapshot with FD-ISR. Then I would strip it down by uninstalling other programs that don't apply to the gaming. Once that is done, I would make a 3rd snapshot from the stripped down game snapshot. That way you have a pristine game snapshot, so if the active one gets infected you only have to do a quick copy, without all the setup stuff.

Pete

PS Don't have time now, but tomorrow I will post under a separate thread the specific instructions of how I'd go about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.