well nortons is gone for me so now to find something new

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what a mess they made with nis2009 and the whole ask thing. and the nortons safe web thing checks every site if you want it or not and add its own window pop up for each telling you it checked them.. and it for sure is slower than before imo.. this sucks

2. zfactor

hmm i see a setting now for safe web in the options. im playing with this to see if i can make this go away.

okay you can turn off the detailed results now nut the ask toolbar add in is not removable. and for sure browsing seems to have slowed down some now for some reason. nothing else has been updated or changed out.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  3. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

Norton is a better product nowadays, but it seems symantec still uses questionable business practices.

With so many good freebies available, Payware really isn't worth it anymore for home users IMO. I'm still using Kaspersky on a couple of my PC's until the subscription runs out, but I wont be renewing.

On my laptop I have started using Drive sentry, which is a light application and has proven effectiveness. I also use sandboxie and two on-demand scanners for occasional checks. I consider this setup to be adequate and it's all free.

4. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi zfactor :)

Looks Like I Got Rid Of NIS 09 .. Just In Time! :D

I've tried many Norton's in the last 3 years ( e.g. NIS 06 , NIS 07 , N360 , NIS 08 , N306 v2 , NIS 09 )
    And To Be Honest!
    I can't for the life of me.. Work out why so many people ever liked NIS 09 o_O
    I honestly thought.. It was the worst Norton out of them all :thumbd:

Although I hated NIS 09 from day one :(
    I ended up sticking with it for approx 5 months.

4 Weeks Ago...
    I Could Finally Take - No More :mad:
    And I uninstalled NIS 09

I'm Now Using - Avast Home :cool:
    Absolutely - Love It! :D

Happy At Last! :D

5. thathagat

thathagat Guest

welll.............i shifted from firefox and IE to Opera and admuncher with Nis2009.......so all the aforementioned ills of nis2009 are nullified.....ummm...if not all....at least most...;)

6. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I switched to KIS 2009 for the family and I am trying out BitDefender/Outpost combo.

No complains or conspircy theories so far :)

7. CookieCrumbler

CookieCrumbler Registered Member

You're talking about outpost firewall with bitdefender? Sounds like a great combo imo. I really cant stand Norton, i never liked their products it seems like there crap gets worse and worse tbh. Dont know why everyone loves Norton, in the past it used to eat computer resources ALIVE. I've heard NIS 2009 is one of the fastest suites out there...lol....but why would I spend my money on a product that sucked for so many years?

8. zfactor

i for one would not go back to bitdefender. and imo the outpost firewall is way to bloated for just a firewall. 2.7 was the last great outpost after that it imo went downhill. maybe ill go back to kis2009 though it had a few issues i didnt like either they were not becoming more or less privacy issues they were simply not liking the way the program features were

9. CookieCrumbler

I think you should go with KIS 2009 tbh.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what i did instead of installing those huge monsters security apps,i bought a combination of prevx edge and malwarebytes and i feel secure;) againts malware:)

11. fce

fce Registered Member

i've tried lots of security combo...either resource hog or security conflict you will get.

KIS is not bad security suite, IMO.

12. CookieCrumbler

I think KIS is a great suite and is better than many out there

13. zfactor

i had kis2009 and while i liked it a lot dont get me wrong it made a lot of internet stuff drag. like you tube videos were like watching a slide show and i have a very very powerful system no reason at all it should be doing that i saw this result on more than a few computers and after simply removing it the issue was gone. among other things as well as sometimes forgetting my network settings and not allowing me to edit them? i had to actually remove it and reinstall a few times to fix the issue or i simply could not connect to the internet even with the firewall turned completly off. it still blocked the internet

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

also avira free(for viruses)and malwarebytes paid(for spywares)and set to go malware free;)

15. zfactor

that i agree on 100% it is better than many if not most i just personally like the way i really except for a few times it could not update which was fixed had 0 other issues with nis2009 so to hear all of this just coming out at once just plain sucks

16. CookieCrumbler

I HIGHLY recommend Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009. The names misleading. It has the detection rates of KIS (not just viruses, but everything). It takes alot of the 'bloat' out of it, then just get yourself a seperate firewall. You can do whatever you like, but I think this would be better. Sure, it doesnt have a firewall, but it has almost everything the KIS suite has.

Clarification:
    Kaspersky AV does not have:
    Network Attack Blocker, Anti-Dialer, Application Filtering, Firewall, Network Monitor.

But, I'd just get a standalone firewall. I mean the AV still has all the good stuff in it, like real time files and memory scanning, real time email and IM scanning, real time web scanning, proactive defense, antiphishing. I think that's good enough. But thats just me I guess.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  17. TrojanHunter

I know what you mean, because while I think their Norton 2009 software is a vast improvement over past efforts, I wouldn't use them again. I remember in the past when their software let through many infections, was very Bloated and wouldn't uninstall properly. In recent years it seems Sercurity software buyers have become wiser, so Symantec have finally put something together that doesn't suck. Having said that, I still wouldn't feel comfortable with a Norton product protecting my machine.

18. CookieCrumbler

Wow I feel the same way. :)

19. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

It seems to be a very good combo.
    BitDefender 2009 has good detection and a behavioral scanning component called B-HAVE similar to Vipre's MX-V.
    Outpost has a very good HIPS component and a highly configurable firewall.

Together they are a good couple. No fighting so far. BD takes about 22 MB and Outpost 28 MB RAM on my system. So its pretty light as well. :thumb:
    The only area in comparison to NIS2009, where they seem to lag in online protection. BitDefender HTTP scan tends to slow down browsing of site with lot of AJAX, JS or VBS. Also its anti-phishing toolbar not at par with Norton SafeWeb.

I had minor issues with a possible FP in BD and Outpost was dropping some occasional DNS packets. Surprisingly BitDefender has now great support. They even offer free Chat, Email and Telephone support. Within 24 hrs, I got my clarification for BitDefender. And Agnitum Support was also effective. ( No one asked me use MBAM or stick up $99, like you-know-who )

So I may just move completely to BitDefender/Outpost when my KIS2009 license expires. :shifty:

20. TrojanHunter

The problem I have encounter with their Anti-virus, is that it doesn't get along to well with quite a few other firewalls. On 64Bit the choice becomes even more limited.

21. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I suggest you try COMODO Internet Security.
    It has one of the most powerful firewall and HIPS.
    AV is average, and needs further improvement. Looking forward to the next update (improved engine and BOClean integration :thumb: )
    If the HIPS bothers you so much, just disable D+ and install a behavior blocker like Threatfire or Mamutu.

22. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

Well, I might catch some grief for this but....I never thought I'd use Norton but having read so many glowing reports I decided to try it again. NIS was as great an improvement as I can imagine over the previous versions. Then came the recent fiasco and I removed it prior to the latest upgrade. So...

My ISP provides McAfee, which I never thought I'd use, but if you check with AV-Comparatives the latest version comes with Active Protection,aka Artemis, and showed some very nice results. Anyway, for the time being I'm going with that and I may stay there awhile, at least until Dr.Web comes up with a 64bit version.

23. gery

gery Registered Member

this the death of a great goodfather norton well praised worshiped and highly reverended .holy sh..t
    the point is they made themselves a big favor by blowing a good software never liked it and never will

24. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

Junst uninstalled NIS2009 (then ran Norton Removal Tool) and installed Eset Smart Security v4 instead. Seems lighter, web browsing also seems a bit quicker, and no bloat/spyware toolbars (Ask!), so happy just now.

25. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

No AV is perfect for everyone. NIS2009 worked great for me over the last 6 months, and I'm using N360 v3 now (given they've fixed most of the 64 bit issues) and I couldn't be happier. No performance issues, including browsing with SafeWeb turned on. I turned off the Ask.com search, so can't comment on that.

Good luck finding something you like!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.