well i already see the chkdsk issue.. sucks

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

I have run chkdsk once twice now since XP was released and one of those times was to test this Kaspersky issue on an old box.

2. muf

muf Registered Member

I switched to KAV 7 about 3 weeks ago. I've used all the previous version's and becuase v6 caused issue's I switched to NOD32. So, I got a 6 month licence with a pc magazine for KAV 7 and decided to try it. I read this thread and have to admit that i've never ever run chkdsk since I got this pc about two years ago. Version 5, 6 and 7 have been on it and I've had iswift and ichecker both enabled. So I tried chkdsk through windows xp sp2 and it completed in about 2 minutes. Don't know if i'm lucky but I have to admit I expected to see this issue. Just my 2 cents...

Oh, and i'm not sure if i'll stick with it as it has failed to auto update a number of times and has failed to start up a few times in only 3 weeks. Not re-assuring.

muf

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

well after a clean format due to other windows issues i was having and some other things i wanted changed out i reinstalled kis7 and chkdsk sits at 10% for about 30-60 seconds and then completes total in about maybe 2 minutes or less. so im not sure ill continue and hope it doesnt get worse. i really lke kis7 and i am still shocked at how fast the pc runs with it installed i simple cant believe everyone saying kis makes their pc so slow. but then i tested some that made my system crawl and others seem to have no issues with it at all.

4. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

As long as it completes I wouldn't worry too much. Mine would not even complete and I got an error. I really liked Kaspersky at first but after 2 weeks it started crashing, failing to auto-update and now this CHKDSK issue was the last straw. It was also conflicting with far too many other programs.

I look foward to when v8 is released so I can try it again, but for now I will be using Avira which I fell in love with at first sight. :thumb:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi muf,
    their have been a few bad updates recently but they have been fixed as fast as they can.
    lodore

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

As always, each and every app will run differently on each and every system, that applies to everything, AVs, firewalls, HIPS, etc. So one person's experience can be quite different from another's.

I personally would never touch KAV again after this whole chkdsk fiasco.. I liked it when I used it a year or so ago, but that issue is enough to turn me off it forever, whether they fix it or not. I simply won't trust them anymore...

There are plenty of good AVs too. The real trick is to find the one that runs light and well on your system, without issues. If you don't mind the chkdsk issue, then by all means use KAV, but there's no use using KAV and then complaining about it for weeks.. It is what it is, take it or leave it.. I'm not criticizing you personally, just saying that there's no point in anyone harping on a flaw and continuing to use the product. If you don't like it, then move on to something else..

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd put it a slightly different way for novice reader...

The applications run the same way (the code is same unless it's possibly relying on a shared resource), but they're running in different environments and how well that environment adheres to implicit assumptions made by programmer and constraints either imposed by or required by the application determines how well that application will function in a particular environment.

Blue

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well said Blue.... :)

9. zfactor

well i find except for the initial chkdsk issue i had which seems to for whatever reason be gone now (it takes maybe 60 seconds on stage 2 now instead of 30 min for whatever reason) kis7 runs the same on all my pc's i have it on right now.. i se almost no impact at all from it on 3 pc's so far.. but i do agree some programs i know other people run just will not run right on my pc

10. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

zfactor, just curious. What version are you running?

11. zfactor

12. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Thanx,
    I really never had any chdsk problem, but what I hear the new MP1 version is by far better for people who have these probs.
    v8 will even never have the problems any more

13. zfactor

what about for the people who have this issue now and want to go to version 8? will they need to do a format to fix the issue or will kaspersky release some kind of tool to put the system back to the way it was before??

14. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

You know how to remove the object ids, surely. You have a thread where you say you have done it.

15. zfactor

yes but i was hoping that if kaspersky is not using them in kis8 they would include a tool to do it for you while doing the update/install.. i know how to do it right now.. it just to me would make sense for kas to include that for the people who have them already on their computer. and also even after removing the id's i still see the pause in chkdsk its just not anywhere near as long as it was before

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why do you care? Surely you won't use Kaspersky ever again will you? I mean how can you sell your soul to a corrupt company which has amply demonstrated over and over that they don't give a f**k about you the user. All they want is your money. Why would you ever again support them with their incredible arrogance, which will eventually be their downfall and their Achilles heel, which means you the user gets screwed either by them or by malware because of their hubris? Get an antivirus from an ethical company that actually cares about its users. Avira.

17. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

That are very hard words...

ESET is more like this than Kaspersky, in my oh so humble opinion.

18. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

The first thing I'd do after installing Windows fresh... is install Kaspersky. :thumb:

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Everyone who has been a member of this forum for very long knows that some applications run well on a certain system, and some do not. Why that is the case I don't believe anyone knows, or can predict.

The only way to determine the best ones for your system is to try them.

Most of us have not experienced the chkdsk issue or if so the delay is one or two minutes, which I consider inconsequential.

There are a some folks who have rather serious issues, and when that is the case don't use Kaspersky, but they are in the minority.
    If one does not like don't use it, but it seems useless and a great waste of emotional energy to rant and rave each time the subject comes up. Additionaly it is not a healthy way to live.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I'm not getting the connection between using (right or wrong) ObjectIDs to speed up scanning, and not giving a f**k about me the user... :blink:

21. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'd say both fall into the category of not caring about the user. It's about the money. They want it but when the program in question is faulty they do not communcate well. I won't buy anything furhter from either vendor...that's how you vote IMHO,

22. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

What's the name of a benevolent yet legitimate antivirus then?

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That question doesn't belong in this thread. This thread is about the chkdsk issue, tired and worn as it is.

Also note that that question if posted would quickly turn into an antivirus A vs B thread and would be immediately closed.

Pete

24. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

you have such a "anti kaspersky attitude" that you haven't been following the posts have you?he no longer has a chkdsk problem(there is always a a slight pause:-which he now has),you really need to take the blinkers off from timeto time ,or try and see through the red mist that seems to obscure your view when the word "Kaspersky" is mentioned then you may see what's been written

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  25. zfactor

yes as of now i am very very happy with it after a format i have now only maybe a one minute pause. no biggie to me. the first time was way to long not sure what caused it but this time i re-installed vista and then installed kis then all the other programs. so it def could have been a conflict between it and something else. it is a shame that some have this issue and for many if not most people they would not have gone through what i did to get it working properly. most people would have the attitude above and say screw it and never go there again. i admit i went through more than i should have to make it work, but the result is very good so far its very light and i see no slowdown browsing and if there is any its maybe less than one second. i actually sat the two toshib's side by side and one had kis the other had nothing on it no av or firewall yet and i tried all the same web pages at the same time clicking on both at the same time with each hand and they were almost always on the exact same time. i think there were maybe 1 or 2 sites that took about one second longer to load then the one without the av at all.. nothing anyone should be complaining about. overall i like kist a lot. things about the firewall bug me a bit but nothing i can live with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.