well i already see the chkdsk issue.. sucks

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i figured id give it a try just now to see if i saw any effect from it. well it hangs for nearly 30min or more on step 2 at 10% just sits there. i dont notice any system performance issues though but i am concerned about what it did to chkdsk. will this get worse? should i now be worried... on my desktop it only sits on stage 2 10% for about 1-2 min then finishes normally but on one of the laptops it was more than 30 mins it just sat there it did eventually finish.

am i correct even by uninstalling kis7 and removing the object id's this issue will never go away without a format? i still like kis but i am concerned now. thanks

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Could you reproduce what happend?

3. zfactor

every time it does this now

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

what version are you running?

5. zfactor

kis7 yeah it sits at 10% for about 30 min i just tried it again now

6. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

You have a larger number of objects now. It doesn't really just "sit there" - it's still working.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279501

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/en-us

7. zfactor

i have read this before but for 30 min? there is hardly anything on this pc yet i did a format and have 3 programs installed and kis7..

8. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Is your hard drive defragmented (including system files, and the MFT)?

9. zfactor

yes it is i just did it again tonight to to be sure i use perfect disk

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You appear to be one who is severely affected. Don't pay attention to Kaspersky's blather as that is just their feeble attempt to belately do some damage control after Microsoft slapped them down. You should remove KAV 7 from the badly affected computer (play Russian roulette if you want to on your other computers). Then you may want to remove the Object IDs. Supposedly, that will get chkdsk to work properly again. I can't confirm or deny that as I have not attempted to remove the Object IDs. I still have the delay at step 2 at 7% and chkdsk takes over one hour. It took a couple of minutes before I installed KAV 6. If you remove KAV and don't remove the Object IDs then Chkdsk will continue to act as it does now but it shouldn't get any worse. You leave KAV on that laptop and chkdsk will likely get worse and eventually not be able to complete.

11. zfactor

wow that sucks to hear i really like kis7.... man i was so hoping for no issues. i can easily reload a backup image so no problem there but i was hoping to settle for a while..

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If you have a backup image then play with it some more if you want. I had a True Image but old and problems with it on Service Pack 2 for XP. It worked on SP1 on the earlier XP computer but I couldn't boot to the TI disk on SP2. Anyhow, I couldn't just restore an image. Plus, remember, I'm not exactly impartial on this issue so you may want to consider that when you evaluate the worth of my comments (or Straitshoot's). :D

I still really like KAV's detection and other things so I can sort of understand why you want to use it even in the face of the chkdsk problem. I still think KAV 4.5 was the finest AV I have ever used.

13. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

where have you been Mele20?
    I expected you earlier here;)

14. zfactor

well i just re ran chkdsk on the same system and this time it only froze for about 1-2minuteso_O and the whole process finished in maybe 3.5 minutes?? why would it drop so much like this from 30 min before?

15. zfactor

it also blows through perfect disk now super fast ?? what could have made a change?? i have not changed any settings or added/removed any software??

im also seeing a bit more slowdown now in web browsing? it seems kis7 has some quirks?? why would now the browsing be slower now and it was not before...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

zfactor, did you even run chkdsk before kaspersky?

seems most people dont, and only check it/use it because there is an issue for some people :rolleyes:

17. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

there's something up with v7, I discountinued use & my wife who loved v6 asked for me to remove v7 as she didn;'t like the performance. I loaded F-Secure last night. I'm satisfied with it, a bit slow start up but I know I'm protected & It has good ratings for detection. I'd suggest Nod but there's still some bugs in it. I am technically a nod32 guy as that's what has been on my main machine for 2 years. I guess for that matter I could drop back to 2.7 but I like moving forward. Sorry you had to run into the Kaspersky chkdsk thing, I'm lucky I only hang for 2 minutes I can live with that good luck.

18. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

Oh ****, looks like I now have this problem too.......

I have been using the KAV 7 trial and before installing I did a CHKDSK check and it ran perfectly - very quickly.
    After install KAV 7 trial, it slowed down on Phase 2, only by a few minutes though, so I didn't worry too much.
    Well, I just uninstalled the trial (still had 9 days left) and ran the CHKDSK again - now it will not even complete....... :thumbd: :mad:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9953/kavry1.jpg

How do I remove the object ID's? I really don't like the thought of not having CHKDSK working at all....
    I read on the KAV forums that this issue is exaggerated, but it clearly isn't... I don't like the fact that Kaspersky don't seem to be worrying or planning to fix this issue.
    I only used it for 21 days... :thumbd:

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont know if its just me, but nod32 now seems slow (fast scanning speed though) and a little system heavy, there are definatly lighter available.

20. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It's posted all over..., here is is yet again (this first line is to query, the second to remove, run from the root directory):
    Code:
    FOR /R %a IN (*.*) DO @ECHO. && @ECHO - %a && @FSUTIL ObjectID Query "%a"
    FOR /R %a IN (*.*) DO @ECHO. && @ECHO - %a && @FSUTIL ObjectID Delete "%a"
    Actually, it is, but that doesn't mean you're not experiencing real problems now.
    You do have a very powerful recourse, vote with your wallet. I do it all the time.

Blue

21. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

Thanks Blue, that seems to have fixed the problem... I thought it would be very hard to remove the objectID's. o_O

22. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I agree of Nod seems heavier...

23. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

chkdsk problem:-how often does average user run chkdsk?:-I remember when even defrag was deemed unnecessary for ntfs file system and I cant think what these guys are doing to need to run chkdsk so often that it actually becomes a problem

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

my problem with chkdsk and kaspersky was that it kept making chkdsk run, regardless of the slowdown, so i feared for my HD.

however, i tried v7 and it didnt have this problem.

i dont believe many at all use chkdsk on a regular basis, for me .... it only gets used after a system crash or whatever, and windows decides to run it on reboot automatically.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i completely agree and was gonna post the same thing.
    sure with the early builds of kis6.0 windows wanted to run chkdisc often but with the later builds of kis6.0 and all builds of kis7.0 dont have that problem.
    who does run chkdisc anyways?
    why wont people stop complaining the problem is being fixed in verson 8.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.