Welcome to Building Windows 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

There is no Metro UI. Seriously there is not. It's just that the start menu has been converted from a traditional look to a metro based one. It houses both traditional and immersive apps. If you launch an immersive app from there, you are taken to a full-screen experience. On the other hand, if you launch a traditional application like Excel, it opens in the classic Windows desktop mode. The only bit of Metro UI you will be seeing is the file pickers for Immersive applications, and the mechanisms used to run two immersive apps side-by-side, and to switch between them.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There is a Metro UI(unfinished screenshot), the blog itself describes how you can pick between Metro and the "classic but improved" UI. But between now and release anything could change.

3. iravgupta

Can you please be a dear and provide the correct link? Currently it links to a stock image from WinRumours. Also, can you please provide a link to the blog post where this 'picking' is described?

4. elapsed

What does it matter who hosts the image? It's the early preview of Metro. Also, maybe you should read the first page of this thread, where ronjor links the blog post which describes the "picking" as you so put it...

5. iravgupta

Arggghhh...it seems asking nicely is no good on the Internet..here is what I see when I click the link you posted...I don't care if its hosted on playboy.com for that matter, hence asked you to post the correct one -
    http://i.imgur.com/BCiHn.png

Also, 'pick' was the term you used in your post, which unfortunately, I decided to quote. And as far as that post at the beginning of this thread goes, I am well aware of that, and my post still holds true, it's the apps and some basic file operations only, you won't have a metrofied Control Panel or Network Settings or Action Center, there are no two different versions of these things.

6. elapsed

Didn't seem very nice, hence my response. :oops: Anyway it seemed to work fine for me but here's the actual entry.

But how exactly do you know that?

7. iravgupta

A source, who shall remain unnamed of course. And also, if you see the demo videos shared so far, especially the one from D9, it's pretty conclusive.

8. iravgupta

As per Sinofsky's latest post, he will be sharing more details on Explorer, Ribbon and Media Center. Let's see.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

At least i think they mentioned somewhere that the ribbon bar can be minimized, i really hope so.
    To be honest i find it easier (Probably due to my geekiness?) easier to right click and look for an option than having that ribbon bar which i will never use. :thumbd: :thumbd:
    Thumbs down to Microsoft for pushing lame features (The removed the nicknames from Messenger :mad:)

10. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

An integrated sandbox would be great, but only if they go the extra mile to make it worthy of Sandboxie, nothing half a*%#d. If they could actually get Tzuk to do it, that would be awesome.

Cloud scanning, because the new age is all about reduction of resources. If they could integrate a cloud scanning system for new downloads (only) into the sandbox (something discussed in another thread)... that would be amazing. Additional real-time scanning should be optional.

Great imaging/backup tool, worthy of a product such as ShadowProtect. I've heard that the Windows7 tool works just fine in this regard, but I haven't personally seen it in action. But in case somebody does get infected, Windows8 should be capable of remedying it with a simple reboot.

Make the outbound firewall more intuitive and easy to configure. There should be no plugins needed to accomplish this. I'd like it to be similar to Comodo FW.

Integrated encryption program, similar to TrueCrypt.

Basically... the OS should be so awesome that one has little to no need for 3'rd party software. That should always be the goal.

IE needs to be more customizable. Customization is what makes most people choose alternate browsers like Firefox. They need to get some add-on developers to work with them and provide great tools like NoScript. Out of the box IE is now a great browser. And I think they'd be wise not to follow Chrome, and now Firefox's rapid release schedule. Many have recently been put off of FF as a result. I personally don't like things to change on me as soon as I just got used to the previous version. And I'm sure IT people working in business environments like it even less. If they could make the browser more customizable, and stay away from the rapid release schedule, they could reclaim some of the market share they've lost to FF over the years.

I have many, many more ideas... but these are the main ones. I could go on forever here.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't want them to integrate any kind of anti virus, for me i would see it as bloat unless they are going full development on it. (Aka. Windows Defender, i see it as total bloat, it's useless and i cannot get rid of it)

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/01/reflecting-on-our-first-conversations-part-1.aspx

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You are asking for way, way too much from the current powers that be at MS. You'd basically have to have a Charlie Miller-type at the helm. Let me assure you that I completely agree that an OS like that would be fantastic. I just don't think they have capable enough people, nor are they willing to put the resources into it, to make it a reality..yet. I disagree with add-ons for IE. IE is headed in the right direction for once in its life. Letting people tack add-ons to it, exposing it to poor coding or more chances to be vulnerable, is a bad move.

IE won't likely go as fast as Chrome, never mind the warp speed of Firefox, as far as releasing browser versions. I do think, speaking of IE, that TPLs haven't quite made enough impact. Unless you count paid solutions like Ad Muncher, there never has been a very effective way to block ads/trackers in IE. I'd like to see that kind of customization, and, I'd like to get rid of "Zones".

As far as Windows itself, I too would like a more comprehensive firewall ready to go, without the need to download extras for the built in if you want outbound control. I personally think a Comodo-like firewall would not work so well for the masses. Keep it powerful, but also apply the KISS principle. We could have still had a Returnil-like ability in Windows, had MS not thrown in the towel (I can't think of what the name was, but it was Comodo Time Machine-like).

I've never been a fan of the Ribbon crap, so I think that is a disappointment. If it can be switched off, then really it's no biggie. It looks like they dumped all the XBox integration and other crap that was rumored at the very beginning..I certainly hope so. It has no place in the OS.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/02/reflecting-on-our-first-conversations-part-2.aspx

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Damn Microsoft and their ribbons i'll just install third party apps to skin it :thumbd:

16. elapsed

Bringing Hyper-V to “Windows 8”

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/07/bringing-hyper-v-to-windows-8.aspx

I recommend watching the video, Windows 8 is looking better every day!

17. moontan

moontan Registered Member

hopefully, we'll know more this month about a release date for the "demo".

after the success of the W7 RC i can't wait to give W8 a try! :)

18. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Windows SteadyState was the name of it.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Aha! Thank you :D Now, MS, get that thing back in working order again and re-release it.

20. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Your welcome. :D Haha, you would be nice if they had kept it going.

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Besides the Windows SteadyState-alike thing, they also mention no crap (I couldn't find anything) about other security implementations/functionality.

AppLocker? Will it be the same? Improved? Will I be able to run applications as basic user, as SRP in Windows Vista allowed? That was gone in Windows 7, with SRP.

Will Microsoft give much power to work with integrity levels, natively, and fast (a better icacls built-in tool), and also one that allows to change Registry keys ILs.

Will a standard user account (a real standard user account) be the default type of account? I got my doubts on this one. lol

Will access to Windows firewall, AppLocker/other name, etc be off limits to anything we install (which require administrator rights)? There should be isolation between what we install and Windows firewall, etc. What we install shouldn't interfere with Windows firewall, for example. I really hate applications adding themselves to Windows firewall. :mad:

The only thing new regarding security that I'm aware of is the SmartScreen-like feature for Explorer as well. But, nothing else.

And, that ribbon crap, it better be an optional thing, as it would take A LOT space from my laptop! What's wrong with Windows 7 Explorer UI, anyway? It's fine as it is, IMO.

I'd like to know a lot more about core security... But, they don't talk about it. :(

22. elapsed

Code security doesn't excite people, only Wilders people haha :D Considering how long //build/ will last next week (4 days) we might get some info on it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

24. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Re: Microsoft Confirms Super Fast Startup Mode In Windows 8

Wow, amazing feat for Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.