Weird

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Oremina, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Posted this thread over at DSLR/Microsoft help yesterday, but no joy.

Yesterday, I installed SP2, seemed pretty painless and soon got rid of things I didn't want such as the FW and Security Centre.

As I rebooted and re-enabled Process Guard (disabled for the installation), I noticed something I'd never seen before and I'm at a loss to explain it.

System32\imapi.exe tried to gain WRITE access to system32\devldr32.exe.

Now, as you all know (o_O?) imapi.exe is Microsoft's Image Mastering API for CD Burning and devldr is part of my Creative labs SoundBlaster Live soundcard.

Why on earth would a CD burner exe want to access devldro_O

My PC is, as far as I am aware, so clean it squeaks and I'm sure it is not an infection of any kind - everything here is up to date and I've even checked the Kaspersky on-lin scanner as insurance. All clean.
    For the sake of peace and quiet I put imapi.exe into Program Protection and give it Write privileges, so hope that was the correct thing to do.

Secondly, this morning I noticed sys32\defrag.exe also wanting to WRITE to devldr.exe.

Anyone any ideas as to what is happening? What I do feel sure about is that it has to do with SP2 and is probably a minor glitch that will be ironed out at sometime...but any theories would be welcome.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Looks like normal, everyday access. ProcessGuard 2.0 alerts sometimes arent exactly as they seem. The new version will be FAR more explicit about what is going on, until then we suggest you do give privileges to trusted programs if they request it

3. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Thanks Gavin - I'll do that and looking forward to the new version..

4. Avitar

Avitar Registered Member

When is next ver due to come out?

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Avitar,

In another thread, they said in about two weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.