weird problem on my comp, PG related or not ?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by gkweb, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

I have strange troubles on my comp and I don't know which program is responsible.
    But since PG is the most "lower level" on my comp, I try to ask here, and at worst if it isn't due to PG, may be someone will have en answer anyway.

Often, When I load a game (whatever the one) all my runing processes crash the one after the other, by beginning by Explorer.exe, because the memory "can't be written".

Yesteday, i have seen a very weird thing, I was reading a txt file opened with notepad, and sudently, the text disappeared and was replace with garbage letters coming from nowhere, and the title of the window was replace by "mplayer.exe" which is a program I have but which wasn't running at this time.

Besides that, I 'm pretty sure my computer is clean.

So what is the cause of all of that ?
    Is it a conflicts with a program ? is it PG ?
    Or have I memory pb and need to buy new RAM ?

I add that when explorer.exe is crashing, it's always the same address value which use another one, and lead to the "memory can't be written" :

0x77f35f5f is using 0x01000000 for instance

Any idea ?

2. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi gkweb

I suggest you go to Control Panel > Management Tools > Event Viewer and then analyze the logs there. Hope this willl help you.
    Rui

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hmm.. sounds very nasty perhaps even an infection. Haven't been testing anything dangerous I hope ? :D Certainly my first guess would be something very wrong with Windows caused by some infection. Or possibly an over tight security hold on it ? :)

I'd image the drive in case it is ok, then consider wiping it. Images have the advantage of being created in DOS and you could perhaps look inside the image for a hidden nasty !

4. gkweb

What i done for now was to revert back to my previous video card drivers since i don't remember to have had problems before.

About infection, i don't imagine how, I didn't let anything new to run thanks to process guard, no process injection attempt in the process guard log, AV up to date and scan ok, TDS3 up to date and full scan ok.
    The system behaves smoothly and normally all the time, except for those time I try to launch those two _bought_ game (no warez) which consumme all my system ressources, that's why i thought to bad memory that i will test with a program soon.

What I do, however, is to often install/uninstall firewalls, and AV, possibly related ? or still thinking of an infection althought i am clean since years ? :)

5. gkweb

Memory tested and clean, hmm, what would you need Gavin to check my system health ?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

GK, Have you done a deep registry clean & defrag lately?
    If you have been installing / uninstalling lots of low level stuff then ther is probably all sorts of rubbish left in your registry which could cause spurious errors.

Pilli - WWDC beta tester :D

7. gkweb

no more problems since i have revert back my graphic card driver, but may be a coïncidence.

Anyway I will follow the advice of my wwdc beta tester and will clean my registry ;)

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I have noticed somewhat similar problems with video drivers in the past. Sometimes running beta nvidia drivers caused very weird issues on the 2D desktop, so I always reverted back to old ones. I have been using ATI cards for a year or so now and havn't had any issues with their drivers, though I only use release drivers not beta ones. :)

What you are explaining, I can't really see how Process Guard could cause that, so I would say it is unlikely that it is Process Guard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.