Weird problem (for me)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tpollard, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpollard

tpollard Registered Member

I have a question about Acronis True Image 8.0. I see you guys are all experts so here goes.
    I loaded all of my core software on my system (Windows XP, Office XP, and all other software I wanted. Even had a 6 in 1 memory card reader) Everything was exactly like I wanted. When I looked at My Computer I saw all six different drive letters for the 6 in 1 reader also. Then I performed and entire C:\ drive system backup to D:\ drive (a second harddrive in my system). When performing the backup the total size was about 5 Gig so the system prompted me that it would need to create two files because of the size (Spanning). I have one file a little over 4 Gig and another that is almost 1 Gig.

My question is how do I do the restore. I click on the Acronis icon on the desktop then I follow the prompts to reboot the system. Since I have two files to restore which one do I use first? The first file that is 4 Gig or the second file that is 1 Gig? I've tried both ways, after I run one of the files and it completes then I navigate to run the second file and the system wants to delete the partitions and not just continue with the restore. I was thinking this would be like restoring multiple zip files (after one completes, you insert the next and continue with the unzipping process). Does the program automatically load and run the second file and I just can't see it or do I have to do that manually?

Problems that I am noticing is that my USB ports do not work (Printer, external DVD writer, JumpDrives). Also, it doesn recognize my 6 in 1 memory card reader. I'm thinking that all of the files are not being restored correctly. Please provide any help you can. Thanks

2. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Anytime you create spanned images those same spanned images must be placed in the same directory on a local or network share drive before you can restore. If you are saving the image on disk why span? If you wanted to later burn to DVD then just remember the images need to go on a hard drive in the same location (directory) before you do the restore. I don't remember which image you are supposed to use for the restore (first or last).

As far as I know you cannot yet restore directly from multiple DVD's or CD's.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello simusphere,

Hmm. Where to start?

Not true. This only applies if you want to mount and explore the image.

I suspect TI split the image at 4GB because tpollard's D: drive is formatted as FAT32 (inherent 4GB max file size limitation)

As I said above, this only applies if you want to mount/explore the image.

It doesn't matter which one you pick. TI recognises it's part of a split image and will then restore the complete image in one go.

Yes you can. Just remember to load the last DVD or CD of an image into your CD/DVD player/recorder first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk insertions.

Regards

4. dld

dld Registered Member

tpollard... First let me say that you have duplicated your post, posting first Yesterday at 8:34 AM, and second Yesterday at 12:47 PM. This can be confusing for the responders who can't have a clear picture of what answers have been given for your problem.

What exactly do you mean by this last sentence? Is your 6 in 1 reader showing up on My Computer as 6 different drive letters? Maybe that is as it should be, I don't know.

This is where I lose you completely. If you are creating an image on your D: drive, then ATI would have created a single file with .tib extension.

Click on Restore and the ATI Wizard will guide you. You would highlight the .tib file and highlight the drive as shown here.

Reading Menorcaman's response about your drive being possibly formatted in FAT32, I would suggest you format your backup drive in NTFS, where there would be no file size limitation.

5. tpollard

I think I'm gonna take the advice and format the D: Drive to NTFS. Windows XP automatically asks about formatting when setting up windows. Can I use the Window XP CD to format the Drive without it actually trying to install windows on it. If so, how do I stop it after it has completed the format?
    thanks

6. dld

dld Registered Member

You can use WinXP Disk Management to format your D: drive. Go to Start\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management

Right-clicking on your D: drive will give you the option to format in NTFS.

Reading your post more attentively, you don't have to install Windows XP on your D: drive in order to format it. When in Disk Management, you will see both your C: drive and your D: drive. Make sure it is the D: drive you format.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  7. tpollard

Thank you. I'll try it this evening when I get home.

8. dld

dld Registered Member

When in Disk Management, you will right-click on your D: drive.

I would not attempt to partition your D: drive. Give yourself lots of room to create full backups or to append changes incrementally.

Once you click on Format, you will see the option to format using NTFS. Do not tick the box for Quick Format. You do not want to use Quick Format. Depending on the size of your D: drive, it may well take 30 minutes or more.

9. tpollard

Thanks all,
    Looks like the formatting worked fine. I guess I will need to format my C:\ Drive now since none of my USB ports work unless you guys have some ideas.
    My system was working fine until I did a TI restore then I lost usability of all USB devices. I have tried removing all USB related items from the Device Manager area, hoping that I would install whatever was needed to get them working again when I rebooted but no luck.

So i'm thinking if you guys have no suggestions i'll try reformatting C:\ Drive and hope that fixed the problem. If it doesn't then maybe its the motherboard.

What do you thinko_O

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tpollard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

It's really hard to figure out what happened.

However, next time you will create an image, please do it when booted from the special Boootable Rescue CD. It might solve the problem.

Please let me know if the problem will appear again after you will restore that image.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.