Weird Printing Problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by philby, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello (again!)

I set up printer sharing for someone today on a simple wireless home network as follows:

Attached HP Photosmart C3180 locally to desktop
    Shared the printer
    Added printer to notebook

I could print from both the desktop and notebook :) , but with some odd results :( :

Printing a Notepad or Text document from either machine results in the file name being printed at the top of the page. So, for example, printing a newly created text file, there'll be the expected text plus "Untitled Document" at the top of the page.

Printing a newly created Word document, (Office is only installed on the desktop - so it cannot be an Office print setting issue), I'll get the expected text plus "Page 1" at the top.

I cannot find any setting in the Photosmart s/w or any setting in the Ctrl + P GUI that would switch this 'function' on/off.

I reset the printer to defaults and restarted it and the two machines (both XP Pro SP2) - problem persists.

Haven't been able to come up with anything on the HP site or Google either....

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance

philby

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Philby -

I think I can help you with part of the problem. In notepad, go to File/PageSetup. The deafult header is filename.

With respect to the Word document, is there a header on the document?

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi LenC

Even though the person I was helping doesn't seem bothered about a fix for this("I never print anything anyway") I am interested in understanding what was going on.

Re. Notepad - on my system (with which there is no problem) the default header is &f. Is this what it should be? (Unfortunately I don't know when I'll be able to check what it is on her machine).

Re. Word - No, there was no header, just Page 1

Thanks for your help.

philby

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Philby -

If you print any file on your system using notepad, you will get the filename printed at the top of the page because of the &f setting. If you clear the &f, you'll stop seeing the filename when you print. (If it is a new file that was never saved, it won't have a filename and that's why you will see "untitled document.)

With regard to the "page 1" printing from Word, I'm thinking the document that you were printing had a "page number" header inserted into the document. Try opening up Word on your friend's computer, create a new document and print it - I'm guessing you will not see the page number.

Len

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

philby, since LenC already covered Notepad and is on the right track, regarding the prospect of a Page Number Header, see Remove page numbers in Word.

6. LenC

LenC Registered Member

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

LenC, thanks for posting that link! Not knowing what version philby is dealing with, at the very least, the topic is covered. Take care.

JR

8. philby

philby Registered Member

First of all -thank you both very much for your help.

Re. the &f in Notepad, I've emailed her suggesting she try clearing that and printing to see what comes out...

Re. the Page 1 in Word, this was in fact on the printout of a new, unsaved document that I ran off as a quick test. I didn't add any numbering to the doc., so perhaps she had previously set Word to always number pages (I assume this is possible - maybe by changing normal.dot or setting a template?) and forgotten that she had done so (highly likely :)). I will send her a separate mail suggesting she check any changes she has made to Word's defaults.

(I'm 99% certain she is using Office 2003 definitely not 2007).

Thank you both very much again for taking the time to help.

philby

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

philby, you're welcome! Take care.

JR

10. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I can't think of any other reason why this would happen in Word other than the ones you've mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.