weekly scan with blackpear settings question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by john774, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

We're not there yet, but my pleasure.

Cheers :D

2. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello folks,

Could john774 and Hexaguano check that their PC's are not being shut down or restarted in the middle of a scan? This will produce the results you are both seeing in the scan log.

Bandicoot.

3. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

Hi Bandicoot.

No shutdowns occuring here (confirmed by checking the PG log files adn event log, as my scans are run at 05:00 AM).

4. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello,

Could you re-schedule the scan to a time when you'll be in front of the PC to see what actually happens?

In NOD32 Scanner Logs, if you right click on one of the entries with 'Cleaning' and choose 'Details' is there a scan log of entries which abruptly stops, as opposed to the normal summary at the end of the log?

Bandicoot.

5. Hexaguano

The scan abruptly stops according to the log file.

I just completed a scan and this one was OK (see attached). Sometimes it works, sometimes not...

Attached Files:

6. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi Hexaguano,

If the logs stop abruptly, it suggests that something interupted the scanning process, ie; a restart possibly.

As I mentioned before, is it possible to schedule the scan at a time when you will be present?... at least for a week or two until we can figure out what's happening.

Bandicoot.

7. Hexaguano

Will do and report back.
    Thanks.

8. john774

john774 Guest

Same here, I appreciate the help.

9. john774

john774 Guest

Forgot: It seems if I manually order them to run, they finish fine. If they run on scheduled time often (maybe all of the tiem, hard to tell) the still display cleaning. Pc is on and doing nothing, no resident apps.

10. Hexaguano

I have the same problem. Only the scheduled scans seem to be effected.
    May be related to the screen saver being active somehow (I am using the "Blank" one) o_O

Scheduled scan kicked off (screen saver was active). When I moved the mouse , it took ~15 seconds for the SS to deactivate (like memory was swapping).
    But it seemed to finish "normally" though for more than 30 minutes, no entries were in the log file. Usually I will have numerous "blue" file locked entries after this amount of time. I did note these peculiar entries:

E:\WINDOWS\Help\sounds.chm »CHM »/$WWAssociativeLinks/Property - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: low amount of free memory / disk space, or a problem with temp folders)
    E:\WINDOWS\Help\spad.chm »CHM »::DataSpace/NameList - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: low amount of free memory / disk space, or a problem with temp folders)
    E:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6\1033\VBCN6.CHM »CHM »/#SYSTEM - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: low amount of free memory / disk space, or a problem with temp folders)
    E:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6\1033\VBCN6.CHM »CHM »/html/vacondeclaringarrays.htm - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: low amount of free memory / disk space, or a problem with temp folders)
    E:\WINDOWS\Temp\NOD426A.tmp - error opening (File locked) [4]
    E:\WINDOWS\Temp\NOD426B.tmp - error opening (File locked) [4]
    E:\WINDOWS\Temp\NOD426E.tmp - error opening (Access denied) [4]
    E:\WINDOWS\Temp\NOD426F.tmp - error opening (File locked) [4]
    E:\WINDOWS\Temp\NOD4278.tmp - error opening (Access denied) [4]
    E:\WINDOWS\Temp\NOD4279.tmp - error opening (File locked) [4]
    E:\WINDOWS\Temp\NOD427B.tmp - error opening (File locked) [4]

My buddies the NODXXX.tmp files again.

I have 512 MB memory and 16 GB of free disk space (swap file is 384 - 1012 MB). Win XP Pro fully patched. TI4600 video.

Attached is info from TM while this scan was running.

Edit: Hmmm just checked through my log files again. Many of the "Cleaning" status entries end with this entry:
    E:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\java.jar-6641cf9c-636511eb.zip »ZIP »Beyond.class - archive damaged

I purged the Java cache and will report back...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2005
  11. john774

john774 Guest

My scheduled scan just ran. I had a screen indicating the scan had finished. I chechked the LOG and the status was WAITING. I then clicked QUIT in the dialog, and now the status is COMPLETED, as it should be.

I have removed all old logs and temp files so maybe that was it? Will see what it does next time. This time was good.

12. john774

john774 Guest

Today my weekly scan ran again. It is finished but in the log I have the status CLEANING once again...

13. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hexaguano,

Could you also delete the contents of your Temp folder?

Bandicoot.

14. Hexaguano

Bandicoot

I deleted the contents of \Windows\Temp several days ago (I also cleaned up some of the files >7days in Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp. There were NODXXXX.TMP files in both places ??). About half of the time the Scanner Log is normal, the rest indicate "Cleaning"...

So far, if I force a scan using "In Depth Analysis", the log has been normal every time.

15. john774

john774 Guest

I agree, forced scans always seem to be fine.

16. john774

john774 Guest

Still no clues to this problem?

17. Hexaguano

Guess not. The problem on the one PC has temporarily disappeared. I've had ~10 scans in a row with no problem. Very strange indeed...

Wish I knew why it went away.

18. john774

john774 Guest

Todays scan did it again: it still says cleaning. I wasnt at my pc so I havent actually seen it scan today at all.

19. john774

john774 Guest

Today I manually ran my weekly scan. It was running as I left my pc.
    I came back after shopping an hour and the scanning window had closed, only NOD32 itself was open. I checked the log and it still says CLEANING. Somehow the cleaning window closed, but noone was here to do it manually. very strange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.