Weekends off for Virus Makers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mantis, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mantis

Mantis Guest

Since I have been using the AntiVir/PE program, I have noticed that there are never any updates on the weekends? o_O

Does this mean that Virus Makers take the weekends off -- or that I should just stay off my computer on the weekends? :rolleyes: :doubt:

I know that I should be grateful that there are many updates during the weekdays -- and that the program itself is free -- but, I am really becoming concerned about this weekend off thing! :eek:

2. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

Many (I bope all) should have some limited support over the week end and in the case of a major outbreak should release defs.

Vendors like KAV, Dr Web, Nod32 and even free ones like Avast and AVG will often update over the weekend.

I do not have as much experence with Antivir but am sure they do realease. Does anyone else know more?

Cheers

Jlo

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If there is something important they'll update on weekends too.
    I remember Alwil updated on some Sunday in very late hours. ESET guys also updated their program around 23:00 CET (or even a bit later) time few days ago (or weeks?). So nyeah they take weekends off,but if there is outbreak the'll update it anyway. Weekdays are often normal.

4. Niels

Niels Registered Member

You can always download the new defenitions here : http://www.free-av.com/vdfdown.htm
    The last update is dated yesterday same as for the premium version. Normally they update every day their defenitions. All other vendors release almost every day new defenitions.(what already was mentioned in this topic).
    Antivirusendors works also during the weekends.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I don't know about the other vendors, but Kaspersky releases at least 10 updates everyday even on weekends. Kaspersky update statistics.

6. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

NOD32, AVG and Avast do get updated whether its a weekend or not. Cant say much about others but I am sure same must be the case with other AVs too.

I am surprised to hear that AntiVir PE takes a "weekend break" :eek: :eek: LOL!!

Cheers

Akshay.

7. waters

waters Registered Member

You may find nod is one of the few that dont update at weekends

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

And maybe ArcaVir too.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

McAfee Enterpruise doesn't update over weekends unless there is outbreak of medium to high level (or just high,can't remember exactly)

10. akshay_k72

I am not too sure about that waters.

If you visit http://www.nod32.com/support/info.htm you will notice that it does get updated on Saturdays and Sundays too.

Cheers

Akshay.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  11. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Since I`ve been using NOD I`ve only seen it update on one weekend and I had it for five weekends. So I guess that`s 1-4. Not real good odds huh? :)

12. waters

waters Registered Member

Yes i am sure

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I have had it longer than you have and the average is better than that. As you will see the longer you have it.

14. waters

waters Registered Member

Sat 25th and sun26th june was the last weekend update.

15. akshay_k72

So it DOES gets updated on weekends. Anyway this thread is about AVs which NEVER get updated on weekends and NOD32 does not belong to that category.

Cheers

Akshay.

16. waters

waters Registered Member

Ok,then why is antivir included ,when it updated sooner,sat 16th july

17. Mantis

Mantis Guest

Many thanks to all that replied!:)

I can see that I started a rather heated debate that I had not intended to - :eek:

Perhaps there is a time difference in my part of the world -- because I had an update on Friday July 15 - 2005; but nothing on any weekend since I installed it in last week of May. :(

Even though this is the home of the Wizard of Oz, Toto, and the ruby slippers -I don't think that we are that out of it to have a time zone that would not get weekend updates if they were given to the 'English' server?

I have attempted to navigate the German support forum and I majored in Spanish which is of no help over there -- I attempted to ask this questin as a true information seeking thing -- I had no wish to get anyone upset by it.

Thanks again for all the comments!
    Manny :)

18. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Face it not all av vendors update on the weekends, so that should help you in your decision, in the support section, ones I know update on the weekends are Kaspersky, BitDefender, GData, VBA32. HTH

NOD probably thinks it is safe because of it's AH, and it might be who knows. Now don't all you fanboys get your underpants all bunched up, this was a harmless thread until akshay_k72's second post which then attracted the attention of the NOD enforcers. There is no need for arguing about NOD32 here, go ask in the NOD forum. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  19. waters

waters Registered Member

Avast,avg and antivir updated on the 16th,but they have not got the same advanced heuristics protection that nod has got.I am sure if it needed to, nod would give update on any day.

20. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Panda updates on weekends also. :)

21. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I agree. I use KAV. don't want to start anything though but only had one KAV updated today (30th July dated 07.41am) and it is 20.49 now. Never gone so long with out an update with KAV. OH NO. Time for another AV. LOL (does not wory me in the slightest but shows everyone can have a lapse. Probally not a lot of new malware to add this weekend?)

http://www.antiviruslab.com/newentries.php?lang=gb

Cheers

Jlo

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Resonable update time is daily interval. Kaspersky goes beyond that and provides updates in 1 hour intervals. SO if you get only one update in 1 day with KAV,thats acceptable too. They just haven't got any malware for that day.

23. jlo

jlo Registered Member

In fact they have just updated!

Cheers

Jlo

24. akshay_k72

I am sorry I had no intention to hurt anyone over here and I have edited my second post accordingly.

Cheers

Akshay.

25. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

No harm done, I was simply pointing out the comment which brought about the "my AV is bigger than yours" comments. No harm no foul. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.