Webwatcher - will NOD32 catch it?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by tanstaafl, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Has anyone ever run into this 'Webwatcher' remote monitoring spyware?

http://www.awarenesstech.com/Monitoring-Software/Consumer/

Will NOD32 be able to catch it in a scan? If my boss decides to roll it out on our computers (I'm fighting him on it - just too 'big-brotherish' for me), will I have to configure NOD32 to ignore/allow it?

Thanks... and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the new 3.0!

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I have no idea if NOD32 catches that, but if your boss wants to monitor your computer, and NOD32 catches the program, you probably will have to allow it, 'cause he won't be happy if you block it. I guess someone might already invented a way to by-pass webcatcher...
    Maybe you could take a laptop to your office, and do al the corporate work on the office computer and your personall browsing in the laptop... I would hate my boss knowing my passwords and my private mails...
    Personally I don't agree with your boss policy and probably would be already looking for another job, but that's not always possible, so good luck!

3. TeranceH

TeranceH Registered Member

Webwatcher is the most insidious program I have ever encountered.
    It is a malicious program pretending to be a net-nanny type of program.

The functions it offers like url obfuscation and redirection have no business in a monitoring program.

I have been infected by it on every machine in my network. Done illegally. I contacted them to report it and they denied it was theirs... THREN I CAUGHT THE PROGRAM FILE BEING DOWNLOADED POSING AS AN UPDATE FOR WINDOWS MAIL FROM MICROSOFT.
    It crashed the email program and suggested I notify Microsoft. I figured sure, notify Microsoft, then it dawned on me that the url could eb redirected. I crashed the machine. On reboot, I found the file it was downloanding. It was just under 6Mb and called WebWatcher.exe

The program is pure evil. Awareness Tech is TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE. Using it YOU CAN INFECT ANYONE"S MACHINE ANYWHERE BY EMAIL. YES, the program can be wrapped in an email and sent to anyone. Enabling you to steal every password, account and keystroke. For $97 it must be the #1 tool for Identity thieves.

Because McAfee and Norton and Microsoft categorize it a Boss type monitoring program - THEY DON'T DETECT IT AT ALL. Get infected with it and you NEVER GET RID OF IT. It hides in underlying file systems and even will reinstall the program on format/reinstall of Windows. When that happens it pretends to be about a dozen Windows Update files, which magically appear to download - EVEN WHEN YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE WEB.

Bad Software. Evil Software. Irresponsible Company.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Be it this program, or another such as Spector Soft, when you mention "my boss"...this sounds like a business network.

In which case..they have the right to install this and employ employee computer use policies, on theircomputers.

And the question of wether NOD32 will detect it, or any other AV product, should not be a question..hopefully the IT admin locked those down so you cannot reconfigure them.

5. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Disregarding the "boss" concern, a real concern would be the reported ease with which it's installed or passed on. That, the stealth manner in which it behaves, and the extreme vulnerability suffered by those infected make it a reasonable concern for us all.

So, from one not concerned with bosses or business networks, I'd still like to see the question addressed. Will Nod32 catch it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.