Webroot's Spy Sweeper 5.8

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I downloaded the new build that I was offered today.

The previous 5.8 build that had been offered and that I had tried, had been withdrawn because of 'instability'.

As usual, I chose to 'customize' my installation, and thus I was able to skip becoming a 'member' of the WARN network, and I also avoided the installation of the ask.com toolbar and search assistant.

I compared the 5.5.7 build and the new 5.8 build.

Aside from some cosmetic changes, the only differences that I could find, were the 'masked files' thing and a gaming mode.

But the new version appeared to slow down my computer !
    Not by a lot, but I had the subjective impression that some (?) web pages loaded a bit slower. :mad:

I'm not very tolerant in that regard, I expect my computer to operate without any noticable delays when browsing the web.

Since I chose a 'customized' install, I was also able to read something about their 'privacy policy'. Let's say it was a bit contradictory. On the one hand, suggesting/promising not to share any personal (?) information, on the other hand suggesting sharing that information with other organizations. :mad:

They even mentioned placing a tracking cookie on my PC, but I was unable to find it. I wonder to what extent this is new to the 5.8 build. :mad:

Webroot seems unwilling to really invest in improving the Spy Sweeper. Instead, they choose to milk the brand name and to sell 'personal' information (see previous two paragraphs and my remarks about the ask.com toolbar and search assistant). With that attitude they won't stay on top for long. I can also add that their technical support department is seriously understaffed.

Definitely a thumbs down for Webroot. When is their ship going to sink ?

Fortunately I had a recent Acronis image which I was able to restore.

I'll stick to version 5.5.7 for now, maybe I'll think about 'upgrading' when they are at version 6.x. Which probably will not happen before my subscription runs out, and quite possibly they will never reach version 6.

Please keep in mind that this is a Webroot thread, it's not about SAS !

As a final comment I'll add that, as a rule, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Btw, if anyone is able to locate/find the tracking cookie in question, please mention it here. My tools and knowledge are limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.