Webroot's Desktop Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

It appears that Webroot has stopped selling a re-branded version of Sygate Pro, and has either bought or developed another firewall. Anyone know anything more about it? Webroot has a lengthy description (http://www.webroot.com/products/desktopfirewall-indepth/), but no screen shots. o_O

2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Someone shud get a trial and report... am already trialling four firewalls and am upto my neck!

3. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I really like Webroots Spysweeper, so I thought I would try out the Webroot Desktop Firewall. Its $29.99USD/yr. I really like the Interface, and layout of it. It has passed the GRC stealth test. Right now it is using about 14.5MB of ram, but I have seen it go as high as 18MB in the 30 minutes I have been using it. One thing I don't like, is the same thing I don't like about SpySweeper. When you want to close the program after opening it to use, you must click the minimize button to close. Not the X like most programs. The icons also bounce around from spot to spot. If you open firewall, the icon moves to the front of the line, and the same for Spysweeper. Nothing unbearable, but just a quirk.

Attached Files:

• FW2.jpg
      FW2.jpg
      File size:
      74.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  4. mikel108

Here is the Allow/Deny screen.

Attached Files:

5. mikel108

From the running processes, I really cannot see if it is a rebranded firewall or not. Does anyone else know if the processes are from another firewall, or did they make their own product??

Attached Files:

6. mikel108

Here's the application page. This firewall has a nice feel to it, but for what it does, I probably wouldn't pay for it. ZA and Sygate offer this kind of no frills firewall free. I think Outpost Free would actually be a step up. I think if Webroot gave this away free, then added more features to a pay version, they could have a hit.

Attached Files:

• FW3.jpg
      FW3.jpg
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

It might not be rebranded, but it might use technology and code purchased from someone else, with a different GUI. I believe the firewall in Bitdefender Pro is based on Sygate technology. You might take a look at the copyrights on some of the files to see where it comes from.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There is also another firewall out there somewhere that is a direct copy of Sygate. Same interface and everything, but under a different name. I can't for the life of me remember the name now, but I know it exists.

9. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I think Panda uses Sygate firewall in it's platinum suite:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1754436,00.asp

Interesting to see that after Symantec acquired Sygate, webroot had to get another firewall ;)

Anyone know what is the current situation with that Panda suite?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  10. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi guys .
    It is not rebranded now . It is WebRoot's attempt to do their own thing . Very poor at this stage . It is early yet . I am surprised it is not a beta as they have alot of work to do . Just my opinion .

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Care to elaborate, hollywood?

12. hollywoodpc

I am unsure of what to elaborate on . Does not matter though .
    I do not care to elaborate as anyone who wishes to try it , can . I gave an opinion . If anyone thinks I may be off , they are free to try it out and come to their own conclusion .
    Notok , since you like to play devil's advocate all the time , you should try it out . Although , based on your site I do not think you will like it too much . But , again , that is an opinion . Only you can answer for yourself . If it is tried and liked by anyone , they should purchase it . Just like any other application . To each his own . I cannot elaborate when I give an opinion . Not normally anyway . No need . I see how powerful it is and what it lacks for me . Everyone else reading this thread should go ahead and check it out . I did . It was a waste of time for me . I enjoyed trying it out but , in the end , a waste of time . You may OR may not feel the same way . If you DO try it , I would be curious as to whether you like it or not . Just your opinion in this case . There is little to say about this firewall . Good or bad . It is young and that should be enough .
    With respect to WebRoot though , OA is young but , kicks butt . One other thing to consider is the support of WebRoot . In my experience , as with many others , their support is greatly lacking . That should also be considered by noobs . Good luck and I am betting it will not be on your great site anytime soon Notok .;) ;) :D

13. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

I think he wants you to elaborate on things like does it do bad on leaktests, is it a bad user interface, unstable, doesn't stealth, etc

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

PC Flank has a review which trashed it, but their site appears to be down at the moment.

15. hollywoodpc

Hi Fatal dude !
    I know of 3 leaktests I could not pass . Only tried 6 though . The interface is simple . That is a matter of taste though . Some will like it , some will not . Install was smooth but , had a freeze up after about 2 minutes of running . rebooted and all seemed ok . I did notice the ram spiked a couple o0f times . That could be anything though . Spysweeper did the same thing for a very long time . As for stealthing , it does stealth , depending on who you ask . lol . It passed at GRC but , it saide it failed . All ports showed green yet , at the end of testing , it said failed . It says it is for inexperienced and pros . I felt it was unstable , not advanced enough , ( for me ) , and not strong enough in protecting .
    I apologize if I misunderstood Notok . I again say to everyone who questions my opinion , to try it out and see . Some may like it . Most advanced users will not . I certainly believe that will be the case but , AGAIN , only an opinion .
    Thank you Fatal . Hope that kinda helped

16. dog

dog Guest

It likely reponded to pings then.

17. hollywoodpc

Oh crap !
    Doggy dude . You are correct . I forgot that if it responds , in this case to UDP , pings , it will show stealth but , fail you . Thank you Steve. My mistake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.