webroot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by larryb52, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

is there anyone that has tried their spyware program?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used to use it.
    had version 3.5, 4.0,4.5 5.0 and 5.5
    i ditched it after early releases of 5.5 due to being bloated and to many fp's
    the 3.5 version was great detection and removal.
    went down hill with the 5x versions.
    lodore

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I'm testing it at the moment. But only on demand

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I like the way you say that ! Their 'spyware program'.

It can certainly be spyware. Last time I checked, the default is (but you can 'customize' or whatever they call it) to install the ask.com toolbar and the 'search assistent'. Not getting that means more or less paying attention and 'opting out'. Ask.com, IAC, associated with spyware. Recently I read on secunia.com that the ask.com toolbar had at least one security vulnerability ! (And I consider that in general toolbars are a form of spyware).

Think HARD before you buy it. Currently they have an auto-renewal practice. Usually, you won't know that till after you've paid.

I don't know if Webroot collects data of the user (other than strictly necessary to keep the Spy Sweeper effective).

Anyway, I myself have it, I can't judge how effective it is now since I have multiple security products, but not so long ago it was quite effective. It was good in preventing the installation of spyware. As for detecting the presence of spyware on your system, other software is/was much more effective.
    (I'm referring to the version WITHOUT antivirus).

It's quite light on my system. If you use it, I would recommend tweaking the program to your liking. For example, a 'full sweep' does not scan for rootkits, but you can just create a customized scan that does.

Some pros and cons.

I'll keep using it for now, since I've paid for it anyway.

There are a number of relevant threads, see :https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=199265

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

The link to free one year key may still be valid.

The catch is that you have to have an install version, not trial version. In an install version , it asks your key. You enter the key that comes in your email address. Then, Bingo.

6. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

For those who are still interested in SpySweeper, the following will joy you:

~removed info concerning SpySweeper offer per forum policy....Bubba~

Hoping these are working until someone terminate it.

Hurry.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Free SpySweeper?
    Still overpriced IMO. :rolleyes:

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I tried that free offer and after a few days Webroot would not let me update for new signatures. I had some message that said the only way to update was to upgrade to the paid version. So SS got sent to the recycle bin.

10. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Bloated. Why pay for any spyware program when there are so many free choices which are better. SuperAntiSpware, AVG Spyware, Spybot and Spyware Terminator. Spy Sweeper slows your pc down and in my opinion isnt worth the money.

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

@ Wordward,

pls check your PM in box, try the revised link,

and let me know in PM as well.

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    @wordward:

I am glad it works with the revised link.

As to your attached questions: I may want to answer them here.

Yes, SS will slow down your box with all shields up, but with more RAM capacity, the slowdown effect may be somewhat reduced. I do not use real time--use it as on demand only, same function as SAS free.

Even its on demand scan, speed is slower compared to SAS free.

However, With its good signature database plus free one year(paid version), I definitely keep it for now.

Take care.

13. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Got it thanks. Not sure if I am going to try it again or not though. I did use this free 1 year version before and it ran fine on my Pentium 4 PC with only 512MB of RAM. it's just that things are still up in the air about whether or not the next release of Spyware Terminator will include the Crawler Toolbar and WebGuard or not. As far as scanning I will continue to use SAS, but since I'm not sure what methods it uses for Real Time protection I can't see spending 19.99. I doubt I even need an AS running in RealTime since I use Firefox and have ThreatFire, but you know me I like using these security software's. LOL. I do believe when the final version of AVG 8 is out I will finally be satisfied though. Until then I may use Spy Sweeper, so thanks again for the help. I will ask though if anyone has ran Spy Sweeper with ThreatFire? I just now thought about the two not getting along.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Ok installed Spy Sweeper and so far it seems to be running well with AVG AV and ThretFire. I turned off 4 Shields. 3 IE ones and the E-Mail one because I use Firefox and Yahoo for my E-mail. I don't know how good SS really is, but my PC seems as fast as when SAS was installed. I definitely like the SS icon, and so far everything about SS seems ok. I think if I had to spend the money though I would use Counter Spy instead as it may have better RT protection.

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

@wordward;

it is free for one year, and you may be able to get multiple keys, for future or friends.

You could play it for a bit. As long as you keep that installation file on cd. You can also reinstall it any time by using the same key, or even update to newer build by using its built-in updater. Nothing to lose, just a bonus when we are sometimes a bit luckier.

Take care.

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Ok, and thanks again.

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just a comment concerning the removed spysweeper offer link.

As noted in our site policy concerning these offers, unless it's for everyone, We ask they not be posted Please.

from the link that was removed....
    Bubba

18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Now I feel guilty, but I did honestly have the code and exe before from the original website the PC offer came from. Of course I will do what I always do soon anyway and uninstall it to install something else so no worries. LOL.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    @ Bubba:

Thank you for the reminder;

Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.